Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS air con not cooling.

shmity

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls, over the past few months of running my air con it has been getting less and less effective, to the point now where it doesn't blow any cool air at all.
Now i had a read through the aircon thread by gsmrobinson (top work by the way :thumbsup: , at least i know what to expect to pay), but i was wondering if someone might be able to help diagnose the probelm. When i turn the AC on, what i assume to be the vacuum comes on straight away and sucks, and sucks, and sucks and sucks, and sucks some more, with no cold air comming out of the blowers. Im not sure if this is enough to give a good diagnosis, but cheers if you can help.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Could be just out of gas, that's where i'd start looking...

shmity

Reaction score
Id say that was a given, im more trying to find out WHY its out of gas, if theres any tell tale signs from the symptons i described.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
not really, it could be anything but i'm no auto elec.
Compressor could be crook, condenser, hoses rubbing on manifold and creating holes to help gas escape was one thing that happened to my brothers.
Other than that i'm not sure.....

C

commodore_shane

Hey mate,
look on my VS my aircon was blowin but nothin was coming out of the vents... anyway with some diagnosis i found that it was the aircon resistor (its located under ur plenum chamber - the plastic grille where ur wipers mount too) take all that off and under that u'll see a little square box, take the screws out and have a look. it looks like a square light bulb so u'll be able to see if the little wires have snapped or not... if it is then replace it genuine one cost me about $40 and GOOD AS GOLD ... well that was my caper anyways!!!
another thing is, you know if your aircon has gas or not. start ya car and turn the aircon on, then open the bonnet and hold the aircon pipe (should be fricken freezin)

anyway hope that fixes ya problem

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
On the back of the air con switch there are 5 vacuum hoses which can come loose and make a hiss. This would be likely if you recently were playing around with your radio or dash in that area. It just pushes on. I would take it for a regas. Not sure how much it will set you back but a mate does mine for free. It needs to get done because moisture builds up in the system which makes it less effective. A regas takes your gas out, sucks the moisture out of the system and pumps your gas back in. Takes about half an hour. I get mine done every year and get about 6 degrees out of it when its fully cold. A regas will also test for leaks in the system if its not just a loose vacuum hose. A little tip though, the gas is doped with a dye that will show up in a black light. If you do have a black light check inside and under the bonnet for any stains.

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
mate gas just slowly get used and due to the conditions it also leaks.
Get it regassed and make sure they put some dye in it so you can monitor any leaks.
It is recommended that you regas at least every 2 - 3 years.
If you are in Brissy check on a/c posts in the a/c forum and look at my post. There is a mobile guy up there who is well priced.
If not beware of shonks. My low gas cost me $530 after some d/h stuffed up my pipe to the TX Valve and the condensor.