Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fuel gauge playing dramas

myvrwagonneedshelp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S2
g'day.... lately iv had sum serious fuel gauge isssues... my cars fule gauge after getting a new fuel pump fitted didnt get over half full not a big problem so it stayed l;ike this for a year except now it has donr the exact opposite after a fill up it jumped up and wont come back down from 3/4 full its been like this for about 4 months now and is really annoying does anyone know about this or can help... i tried takinbg back to the mechanic who did they fuel pump but he said it was all fine????? dont know about that but yea if anyone can help that would be awsome

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
pull the sender wire off at the tank and earth it. If it rises and falls the odds are it the sender stuck, a pain in the ass job.
If not its likely it another crappy VR guage.
Most VR/ VS owners get use to a love tap i.e tapping the front of the dash to get both the fuel and temp guages to read. Most commone error is sitting on the bottom.
It either change the entire dash or learn where to tap. A bit like Fonzi from Happy Days

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
The gauge is fairly easy to get to and if you get to it you should be able to easily notice if there are any tight points where it is getting stuck. If it is the gauge then as mentioned before it will move it you tap the dash.

myvrwagonneedshelp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S2
fuel float... i think

hey guys, thanks for your replys, iv established it isnt the dash i pulled the sender off at the tank and the guage is all good unfortunatly i think it has sumthing to with the float in the tank is this a major job???

M

Moylance

I've now got fuel guage issues in my VR Acclaim.. The speedo stopped working, and the Holden mob thought it was the speed sensor, but it turned out to be the actual speedo. Changed the instrument cluster (the whole lot, more kms on the odometer but this one is much better, clearer condition then my org one), but now the fuel guage doesn't work. The temp guage rises like it has since I got the car even with the previous cluster so I presume its all good and correct there.

Tapping produces no effect to the speedo, bit afraid to seriously thump it either.

danny1987

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore sedan
just take the old fuel guage out and put that one in

M

Moylance

thats what I'll think I'll do. Just change the fuel guage.

Another question, how come on all Holden fuel guages it takes forever to go up and sometime shoots up and jumps the last little bit, where abouts a Ford guage and I know even right back to the EA's shot straight up to the exact position on keystart..

DeStUrBn ThE PeAsE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SW 5.7v8/VR 3.8 N Odas
fuel gauge

hey there well ive done alot of custom work on commodore n oda
cars makes n models and all commodore were born with the dash
fault if its no the fuel its the temp if not the temp its the speedo well
all my years off custom work tilll this day i still cant figure out whats wrong
with the gauge fault aeee ive replaced my one in my vr lik 5 times now and its ****in me off but i had the same problem wit my vn so i brought a auto performance fuel gauge and installed it under the headdeck and the temp gauge so i say your best chance is to go the same way because when you repair the problem with the normal ****ty commodore gauges it just comes back again