Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Steering Groans

J

jim468

Hey everyone,
afew more questions, what are the signs that the power steering pump is about to go ?, mine is groaning when steering at low speeds, also anybody in Brissie know of a good place to get P/Steering Pumps ?, am also after a VS Manual, any suggestions ?? :bop:

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
vs manual, goto repco, 50 bux for a max elleries

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
make sure all the clamps etc are tight, i see your new, but theres button called search try that before posting, cheers :)

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
the groanin would'nt be the pump as such..more the rack.(not gettin enough fluid from the pump)
if your loosing lots of power steering fluid (keep filling it up for starters) take it to a mechanic and get him to put a new power steering seal kit in and check the hoses are all ok.

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
VR and VS have issues with High pressure hoses to steering rack shitting themselves with the lining letting go.
Not a big job if you don't mind a bit of dirt
Just buy some good pipe spanners first

Nthn_Suss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Senator Sig
As stated, might just need a fluid top up. Every commodore I've owned has had power steering issues from VN right up to VT. Seal kit would be a worthy investment. Also wise to keep a bottle in the boot, nothin worse than cruisin thru a car park with the car sounding like Chewbacca.

G

goombeast

My VS done it,my old mans VN,my sisters VP and my mates VN and another mates VT.Can muck about but I just opted for a replacement pump,each case under $100 bucks including fluid,done myself in around an hour.Can be caused by contaminated fluid or pump issues etc. if you want to hunt it,but with my experience it`s cheaper replacing it as the labour costs and muckin about quickly add up.Just check for clamp or hose deterioration first.I replaced a couple of suspect hoses and clamps with stock I had lying about just to be safe.Hope it works out for you.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Nthn_Suss said:
Also wise to keep a bottle in the boot, nothin worse than cruisin thru a car park with the car sounding like Chewbacca.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: