Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

replacing Coolant temperature Sensor

M

Matt H

gudday

I have a vr series two 6 seater wagon.

had problems starting, petrol smell, rough idle and stalling.

engine light came up and gave me ' Code 16 - Coolant temperature Sensor voltage unstable"

replaced the temperature sensor, and it appears to be fine, idling is at about 700 rpm. is that normal ?

when idling sumtimes the idle lowers, but its kicks back up..

thanks guys

A

anotherstockvs

yer well with my vs when u first start it, it will idle around 1200 but when it warms up it kicks down to 700-800 which is normal idle, but i cant see why the car would drop it revs and then kick back up

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Petrol smell, rough idle and stalling...

I'd rip the plugs out after it's been playing up and compare the colorations between them...

If some are noticablly wet then swap them over to a different cylinder noting which were wet and which cylinder they were swapped to...

Run motor again

If you keep getting wet plugs from the same cylinder this indicates that there's ignitioning probs with that cylinder...which may be caused by leads or the coil packs

Try swapping a lead between cylinders...lets say number one plug is wet...and number 3 is ok....take the number 1 lead off the coil and plug completely and take number 3's lead off aswell...now swap leads and replace...

If number 3's plug is now showing wet when you run it...then you've got a dud lead replace your leads...

If your number 1 plug is still wet then you've got trouble further up the ignition most probably the coil pack....

I hope that helps your self diagnosis

M

Matt H

well after my self diagnosis, as per the first post. came up with the sensor error, which was replaced and those portions of the problem gone :D

just wondering regarding the idling :d

thanks six.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Yeah I'd still check your plugs as per my post just to check your ignition components... they may be the cause of your rough idling...

has your petrol smell gone ?

does it missfire at all ?

M

Matt H

doesnt appear to missfire and the plugs where changed a fortnight ago as part of the serivce, plus alternator and battery :D

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
its a buik engine there always rough thought arent they??

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
the petrol smell is from the coolant sensor telling the ecu the engine is cold when its really hot (or vise versa because the signal is unstable) hence the misfiring cause its wetting the plugs.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
how much should a coolant sensor cost from holden? ive got a rough idle petrol smell, but no error codes, i mite change that coz bout the only thing i havent :eek: