Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What kind of VR?

michael_pomroy

use_it_or_lose_it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina 3.8L
What VR to buy? and common problems

i've had my p's for a few months now, and time to start looking and hopefully purchasing my own car. im looking at buying a VR berlina or maybe even an acclaim. im just posting to see what people think would be better of the two, which series should i be looking at? prolly series 2 eh? and is there ne main problems that i should be looking out for? just ne information about this kind of stuff would be very useful for me....

thanks guys

michael

Last edited:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
hmm,well if you can afford a berlina,id get that...
but it depends on what you want,whether you want... power windows, cruise control, a better interior or safety features like abs,irs and air bags etc...
theres a few sites (i cant remember which ones,use google) around that specify what each model came out with, that can help you figure out what model you want.
for example it would be stupid to pay the extra cash for climate control and cruise control if you drive around with your windows down and never step foot on a freeway etc. wouldnt it?
weigh up the options and think about which type of commodore best suits your needs,wishes and cash available.
as for which series it doesnt really matter all that much the differences are very minimal..and there arent really many main problems to look for,commodores have their quirks but are usually quite sturdy and reliable...check out the power steering system for leaks,listen to the motor running for any clicks or sounds that might mean something is wrong (eg,harmonic balancer stuffed)...ask questions about servicing and what he/she's replaced while owning it (if they rattle off a ten page list of parts that have been replaced you gotta wonder whether it might be a lemon)...look at where they park it,hopefully it will be a garage or somewhere with a cement (etc) surface that will show you any leaks etc.
and finally get a mechanic to check it over...oh,and ofcourse take it for a spin to see how she feels,lol.

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
For about $1000 more get a statesman

with prices as they are consider spending around $1000 and get a V statesman.
My nephew just purchased one at my suggestion and after letting him drive mine for a day and its amazing how much he appreciates the real comfort and style.
No more burnouts, no more Maccas wrappers knee deep in the back.
No more idiots ideas about how much faster and how much quicker he can destroy a car.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Mate dont worry about looking for series one or two. No real difference, and its not worth the hassle. Asking on here about what car to buy can be a good idea to get some pros and cons but the only way to choose is to get in both cars and find what you like. Like seriously if everyone here said acclaim would you go buy one without testing berlina? Look around, find what YOU like.

michael_pomroy

use_it_or_lose_it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina 3.8L
yeh you's are right, thanks for the input

Wombatclay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6
I have a VR Calais, I picked it up for $13000 with only 120,000km's on the dial, when it comes to vr's I have found it is greatly dependant on the km's, & look for single car owners, they tend to look after them cause of their long term value, other wise, keep ear out for waterpumps when buying them, & injectors for heavy lifting noise, other than that, just the basics like suspension ( especially fronts), & if not brand new tyres, check how they wear..... I check the quality of the switches in side, especially the stalk buttons located either side of the stearing wheel......VR's drive nicely & have great power when very little is done to them, a true sports era for holden I would say!!

Snotty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina auto s2
i got my VR berlina for $4300 with 160,000 on the clock. one owner, complete log books, etc.

One little thing is that if you are really fussy and plan on doing up the car you might want to look for a berlina, etc without an airbag so its easier to put on a sports wheel,
Just another factor.....

Pete284

Banned
Reaction score
There's a lot of differences between an Acclaim and a Berlina. Acclaim aims more for safety, it includes features such as ABS, IRS and an Airbag with cruise control. Berlina's aim more for luxury, style and comfort. It has features such as automatic climate control, power windows, better seats, trip computer, electric antenna, cruise control, etc. However, you do find Berlina's with all of these features, plus an Airbag, ABS and IRS. Acclaim's can also be found with power windows. I've been trying to make the same decision for the past six months, and i think i'm going to go for an Acclaim. Often, the climate control in the Berlina's go bung, along with the power windows, etc. All in all, it depends on what you want, and what you want to pay for it. The VR Acclaim was recently rated in the top 10 best cars for a first car. I'm going to go for an Acclaim, because they're more reliable, and i prefer the speedo, going up in 5 km/h intervals, rather than the Berlina's 10. Test drive both of them, weigh up the pro's and cons', and see what you prefer.