Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

$$how much is it worth

Tom04

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2
hey
i might be buying a 96 vs series2 executive automatic
it has 210,000 kms body kit 17" mags cruise controll jvc cd player an drives well
i had a mechanic have a look at it an he found that the back wheels have 2mm of tred left b4 they need replacing
an it needs 2 new shockies at the back and the exust needs welding were it has come lose. its a nice tidy car. it also comes with a 5 year warrenty on the engine and transmision
the guy is asking for $6500 what do you guys think the car is worth goin on what i have said about the car?

Last edited:

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
Tom04 said:
hey
im might be buying a 96 vs series2
it has 210,000 kms body kit 17" mags cruise controll cd player an drives well
i had a mechanic have a look at it an he found that the back wheels have 2mm of tred left b4 they need replacing
an it needs 2 new shockies at the back and the exust needs welding were it has come lose.
the guy is asking for $6500 what do you guys think the car is worth goin on what i have said about the car?

how are u paying cash or cheque? say 6 grand cash if u are paying that way, fairly decent deak then

dlzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 3.8 V6
most of that stuff sounds normal.. 17s bump it up a little bit to.
so you have to spend a bit on the car. not like you will find a car thats perfect.

i payed 9g for my vs s2 3 years ago with 100 on the clock

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
we paid 4500 for my 97 vs series 2 exec with dual fuel. it had 250000km on the clock.

its got stocko wheels with hubcaps, and no extras like abs or airbag.

at the least, get the guy to knock of the cost of the repairs from the price. mine needs a big inspection on the gas next year which costs about $500, so the price dropped a bit.

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
mate forget the 17's and the JVC unit. Rose coloured glasses tricks.
The base price of the care is say $3800 to $4000.
The JVC is perhaps $500
17's with scrubbed out tires will point to a wanker driver.
210k is average clicks and no big deal.
By the other issues like shockies and exhaust they are expenses you don't have to bear.
I can assume its a car yard.
Tell em its top dollar and to fix the faults or fark off.
Take someone who is over 50 and has dealt with car yards. Remember they are your worst nightmare.
Oh and BTW those great 5 year warranties are extremely limited and will not cover damage due to misuse and believe me and I am a final year law student, driving the car is often misuse.
Take my advice, look around at private sellers who you can wangle with, be realistic in want you can spend and what you want, buy of someone who is no a young (sorry to anyone under 45) hoon and do the mods like bigger wheels and stereo yourself. The better car will last you a lot longer.
Also check the law in SA, in NSW the new law means that a male under 29 with 17's can be charged more than $1000 more in insurance, and excess can be as much as $2500

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
Oh forgot to mention that you should disregard what someone paid 3 years ago, the Federal Government changed vehicle excise and the bottom fell out of the used car market.
What was value 3 years ago is todays joke.

dlzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 3.8 V6
theburna said:
Oh forgot to mention that you should disregard what someone paid 3 years ago, the Federal Government changed vehicle excise and the bottom fell out of the used car market.
What was value 3 years ago is todays joke.

i know.. sucks huh..

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Yea I wouldnt give a worry about a warranty. I can guarantee you they would muck you around and get any problems fixed at the smallest possible price they could without getting themself in trouble. A warranty from a yard is worthless, there are so many loops and holes they can use. How can anyone offer a warranty on a car with 210k kms. Holdens are reliable mate, but you will have problems with them, like you will with any car. Get a car that is mechanically sound. Dont go for something just because it has the nice wheels or the cd/dvd/mp3/whatever player. If you are a car enthuiast like the rest of us you will notice every little imperfection with your car. And it will annoy you and you will want to get it fixed but the price that it would cost you as well as the time it takes isnt possible. And take a look at the price of 17" rubber. Not cheap, would poke a nice hole in any persons new car budget.

I have a VR acclaim. I paid $10,000 3 years ago, 150,000kms. It was great when I first got it but i have had to put a new transmission in, new tyres, new steering rack, new crank angle sensor, as well as problems with the fan which i have been able to fix myself. Thats not to mention all the other money i put into her. Has cost me a fair bit over time.

My brother paid $15,000 for a VX exec last year. Hes paid $400ish for a service and thats it. Thats about all he will put into it over the next year too.

Go for a nice car and do your own mods. You will be happier when you get to choose the head unit and wheels and you will spend less getting mechanical repairs (they cost a fortune). When you go to a car yard really look over and look for anything that annoys you. See if the yard will fix it before you buy it. Once they have your $ they dont give a stuff. But hey, there a business too.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I have to agree with theburna... $4500 tops for an Exec with average Km...

I've seen a VS equipe sitting in a car yard with 166,000km,

silver duco, looks tidy....

They started out at $8000 now its down to $5200

and the equip has electric windows...

the way the car market has slowed up from the petrol rises,

I wouldn't bother with base models...

the market is overloaded with them...

Look for a Berlina at $6500 then you got climate air,

cruise, electric windows, & trip computer ( the dashes are nicer than exec's).