Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

water disappearing - water pump - how to change?

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
The vs was running very hot and the engine light came on. Pulled over and waited for dad to come and help.

No water in the radiator, but the overflow was full.

Put a heap of water in, and started it up. There was a small trickle of water running off the bottom of the engine. I think it is coming from the waterpump, as there was also a little wisp of steam there before the water went on.

How can i be sure that it is the waterpump that is dead?

How can i fix it?

thanks

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
water will pretty much pour out around the pump itself.
They are easy to change, just go to your local auto parts place and pick one up for 80 bucks.
Just undo main drive belt, you will need a ring/open end spanner or socket, can't remember the size but you will find the nut on one of the pulleys.
I think there is about 5 bolts, undo them and the pump just comes off, may need to tap it lightly with a hammer to free it.
Clean off old gasket from the motor, important you do this otherwise it won't seal propley, then just fit your new pump.
usually only takes about an hour for the job, any questions let me know :thumbsup:

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
You should have let it cool down before filling up with water again...you may cause the radiator to crack from filling it with cold water...

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
there was a bit of a wait for the water and it wasn't cold, cold water in containers doesn't happen in darwin!!!

we'll go for a drive tomorrow in the other car and get a pump me thinks.

thanks guys

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
a hint, get a peice of chalk and on a wall or on the floor clear of the car draw the pattern for the fanbelt.
Remove the belt after drawing the pattern
The rest is bolts outs and bolts in.
Give the gasket a good smear with grease before you face it on the pump and it will then stick and give a better seal against the pump.
In hot conditions make sure you run Holden/ Toyota approved coolant and a good mix.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
theburna said:
a hint, get a peice of chalk and on a wall or on the floor clear of the car draw the pattern for the fanbelt.
Remove the belt after drawing the pattern
The rest is bolts outs and bolts in.
Give the gasket a good smear with grease before you face it on the pump and it will then stick and give a better seal against the pump.
In hot conditions make sure you run Holden/ Toyota approved coolant and a good mix.

Just a couple of hints for you, as I have just done the water pump on my parent's VS...

There is a diagram of how the drive belt goes in the manual that comes with the car, if you have that. As already suggested, stick with the genuine GMH coolant concentrate with a 50/50 mix, and don't forget to add the coolant pellets, which from memory, help seal the water pump bearings/shaft.

Cheers
Harvs82

gregaust

Reaction score
You need to take the engine number with you to get a pump,2 different pumps in VS and they go by eng #.

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
what grease do i put on the gasket?

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
I just use standard grease on all gaskets, its an old mechanic trick to keep a gasket in place

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
well, i've got the new pump and coolant and gasket sealer stuff.

problem - how do i get the old gasket off? if has stuck in places and is being difficult. i got fed up with the knife and chisel, and now dad is trying a scraper blade.

is there an easier way to get rid of it?