Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine oil, transfer ftom Mobil Synth S to "1" 15-50

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
I have had no problems whatsoever with the semi synthetic Mobil S oil changing from 20/50 mineral oil, there was am immediate cold starting advantage, it also ran smoother and the HOT oil remained it's viscosity very well even when at extreme temps, never mind staying cleaner for much longer.

I want to change over to Mobil 1 15/50 full synthetic oil, due to the good rap I got from the S oil, (also go full synthetic in auto and diff) should I flush the engine and other parts or will the full synthetic oil swap over with no dramas from the semi synth oil with a basic litre allowed to run through it and then do an oil / filter change.

I would give the Mobil "S" oil a 10 / 10 for anyone with a ecotec with <200 K on it but the engine has now 240K on it, it is working fine mainly due to the use of the semi synth oil but I would like to try the full synthetic oil to see how it goes, especially with the temp outside being over 40 deg C every day.

Oils are not just oils, especially where the eco has roller tappets as std, to put generic oil into one would destroy the thing, at least losing 150 K from it's engines life.

D

dexta182

when using different oils do you find it makes the car runner better? Like more smoother, power etc..?

sire01TMK

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK 308
I use CASTROL MAGNATEC 10W-40 in my 96 VS Acclaim & have never had any problems & believe me, All the way up here in Darwin it gets bloody hot all the time! :cool:

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Don't take it personal guys but I would not use magnateck in a lawn mower, the difference between Mobil S semi synthetic and magnateck is so huge a difference to starting, fuel economy, detergent based cleaning properties, and viscosity consistancy in all conditions plus a tad more HP that you would literally feel the difference no matter the engine.

Remember that some oils in the glossy "I'm the best" containers are recycled oil not suitable for an engine with roller gear that runs hot, not the water either.

If I were to use a mineral based oil in a petrol engine Mobil 20/50 would do the job fine, diesel engines I use a straight mono grade 40 weight, having had two diesel cruisers the difference is on paper.

Castrol oil is ok for squeaking hinges but not worth a chop in an engine you want to last any length of time

But if your not prepared to try some and actually feel the difference, and you will, I can't help, but if you do try it you will see a difference, after all that's what GMH use in their workshop.

The question asked has to be basically answered by someone that uses or has used full synthetic oil that's made in a laboratory for an obvious reason, just because a race car has brand XXXXX plastered over it as it's sponsor, they would not be using it in a $100K engine.

Don't get sucked into the advertising, try it personally, I guarantee you won't be dissapointed.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
digisol said:
Don't take it personal guys but I would not use magnateck in a lawn mower, the difference between Mobil S semi synthetic and magnateck is so huge a difference to starting, fuel economy, detergent based cleaning properties, and viscosity consistancy in all conditions plus a tad more HP that you would literally feel the difference no matter the engine.

Remember that some oils in the glossy "I'm the best" containers are recycled oil not suitable for an engine with roller gear that runs hot, not the water either.

If I were to use a mineral based oil in a petrol engine Mobil 20/50 would do the job fine, diesel engines I use a straight mono grade 40 weight, having had two diesel cruisers the difference is on paper.

Castrol oil is ok for squeaking hinges but not worth a chop in an engine you want to last any length of time

But if your not prepared to try some and actually feel the difference, and you will, I can't help, but if you do try it you will see a difference, after all that's what GMH use in their workshop.

The question asked has to be basically answered by someone that uses or has used full synthetic oil that's made in a laboratory for an obvious reason, just because a race car has brand XXXXX plastered over it as it's sponsor, they would not be using it in a $100K engine.

Don't get sucked into the advertising, try it personally, I guarantee you won't be dissapointed.

Mate are you a chemical engineer ?

or do you have shares in Mobil Oil?

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Penzoil Gt Performance for my VN SS . I have heard alot about the penrite brand but i will stick with the penzoil untill otherwise.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
castrol cant be that bad, victor bray, larry perkins,F1, rally, holden dealers use it as standard and such...

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Digisol... I suggest you read this and then find out which oils have past the highest API standards before you go slagging off Oil that aint Mobil 1

http://api-ep.api.org/filelibrary/API_MotorOilGuide_2004.pdf

I dont think it is the most current guide but it's close enough

Quote:

Oils displaying these marks meet performance requirements set by U.S. and international vehicle and engine manufacturers and the lubricant industry. More than 500 companies worldwide participate in this voluntary program, which is backed by a marketplace sampling and testing program.

End Quote:

So there you have it... The Oil companies submit their oils for tests that are approved by a collective group of engineers from differing labratories within the industry, all collectively working together to ensure a set standard...so no bogus claims or wild exagerations can be made by individual companies...Their oil either makes the grade or it doesn't.

I run GTX2 in my motor...its not cheap...and it ain't over priced either...but it passes the highest API test "SM"...so I think it will be more than adequate to stop my motor from squeaking...

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
As for Magnatec and all the other high end oils.... check the weight

most are 15/40

the 40 is the high end of the viscosity rating...

the Holden owners manual specifies 20/50 for the Ecotec...

So you are more likely to be doing engine damage with these thinner oils as they flow faster and dont leave as thick a layer of oil on your bores.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
subdue said:
castrol cant be that bad, victor bray, larry perkins,F1, rally, holden dealers use it as standard and such...

I think Digisol has been brain washed by Brocky...what next polarisers ?

I put my faith in what LP uses... he is an engiineer.