Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 converted to a V8

ALFAMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Series 2
I contacted Holden spare parts for a quote on a 5.0 litre V8 replacement engine ( I am thinking about converting my V6 to a V8) the figure was $7200.00 for a brand new engine straight from the factory and delivered to my door. Does anyone have a better idea or an option that is cheaper then this? Also what are the problems that need to be overcome when doing this kind of converstion?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Cheaper option, buy one with an eight in it.
Been down the same path as you a few years back, bought the motor out of a vr clubby and was ready to go, decided it was going to be alot easier buying one already done so i put the motor into a wb ute, man now THAT was awesome :thumbsup:

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
yeah even a mint condition VR/ VS isnt woth the crap you will go through changing and getting an engineers report to convert
Sell what you have and seek out a great V8
The price shouldn't be much more than the motor you are looking at and that will be for a mint condition one.
Look at logic over the ooh aah factor.
My nephew has a stock VT and lost his licence for DUI.
So far he spent $8000 for a respray, $600 for plastic front bar, $1100 for some flash spoiler that is yet to be fitted and then his wheels and tyres are $3800.
He says it will be great, I says its a stock HOS VT V6 with an idiot with too much cash at the wheel
Don't lose the plot

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
thats exactly right.....i had my car looking like crap but with a good strong driveline....the most important thing is gettin it running well first and then work your way up from there

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
I say go for it, I'm about to do the same conversion with an engine that I bought off Ebay for $2600.00 with Computer and Tubo 700 box. I know that sounds silly buying off Ebay but the motor is getting stroked, and the gearbox a full overhaul, plus some minor things.
If you already have a VR or VS you won't need an engineers certificate if you put a 5.0L in as they came standard but if you go to 5.7L you will.
The conversion will be a bit fiddly but I've now done a fair of research and it's just minor things.
If you do it this way you have achieved what a lot don't want to do and that is to make yourself a car that you want and if you do it yourself wuth a bit of help from mates well it can be fun. If you just buy a car with a 5.0L thats all you get is a car with a 5.0L that someone else owned so you would probably upgrade stuff in it also such as Stereo, Headers, wheels and maybe paint, whereas you might have all this but you are just missing the 5.0L.
Again, Go for it!!!!