Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing Auto and manual Trasmission

D

dexta182

Would like to know how straight foward this is? or how much it would cost?

Thanks

R

rattattack1313

Try the "Search " button at the top ,mate..... been covered several times.... :thumbsup:

D

dexta182

I have looked but I never really found a ruff price or how easy is it to be done

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
its a time consuming job

will cost at least $1500 in parts
And will cost at least $1500 in labour

if you do it yourself you will need alot of time and patience, you have to put a clutch pedal box in, change the box , flywheel, starter motor put in a clutch, change the tailshaft, console and even have to rewire the neutral switch etc.

but if you have a vs like your title states or a vr then you will also need a manual computer as shift points are controled by the ecu

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
HDT_aero said:
its a time consuming job

will cost at least $1500 in parts
And will cost at least $1500 in labour

if you do it yourself you will need alot of time and patience, you have to put a clutch pedal box in, change the box , flywheel, starter motor put in a clutch, change the tailshaft, console and even have to rewire the neutral switch etc.

but if you have a vs like your title states or a vr then you will also need a manual computer as shift points are controled by the ecu
if you have a VT or VS you should only need the gearbox with bell housing, flywheel,pedal box and obviously a clutch kit,from memory unlike the VN ,there was only one motor made for those models,so it should bolt straight up,also you don't have to swap ECU's all the same,the only modification you might have to do if it's the sam as a VN is the park brake light,because the switch is in a hard spot,a lot of people just cut and rejoin the wire,just under the console...ohhh thats another thing :) manual console,but not the whole console,just where the gear lever goes,from memory that also is like the VN you can remove just the front half of the gearshift cover.
so all up if you shop around $1000.00-$1200.00
you may be lucky and pick the lot up cheaper

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
At $900 or less for a brand new auto box why bother with the drama, simpler to buy another car.

Changing em is not that hard but you need a special gearbox jack.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Can someone PLEASE!!! tell me where do you get this done?????

No mechanic will touch this with a 40 foot pole!!!

My autos on the way out and i dont want another one!!!

Please....Someone, tell me where to get these parts or kits or something!

a phone number...name....anything...

aZk.

M

madA69

I understand your problems - I've gone thru 4 2nd hand auto's in the past 18mths ~ 2yrs & I was asking the same thing Auto to manual. One thing Ive really learnt from all this is NEVER NEVER am I going back to an Auto again - they suck, generate to much heat are inefficient & Break !. My mechanic & company I bought the gboxes from all said the same - its hard to convert, hard to find a manual box & will cost around $3k all up.

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
If you're in Melbourne Eastcomm wreckers supply everything, including a recon box for $1500, plus $1000 if you want them to do the conversion.

http://www.eastcommwreckers.com.au
East-Comm Wreckers
5 Davis St, Ferntree Gully
Ph: (03) 9758 2955
FAX: (03) 9758 2955
[email protected]