Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Perished Leather

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
I have cracks in my leather around side of drivers seat that is exposed to sun.
also, steering wheel has cracks in the leather.

I would imagine you can get steering wheel re upholstered. How much?

Seats???

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I sold my XJ6 Jaguar because the leather seats were drying and cracking and the cost of new front and rear skins was over $3500. I bought a VS Exec with fabric seats which feel much better than the cracked leather (but I still miss the Jag). First I'd be looking at treating the leather with a leather restorer. Visit the Jag site at: http://www.jag-lovers.org/ and search around that site. Leather looks and smells great but costs $$$$ if neglected. Good Luck

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
they were on there way out when I brought the car. (stupid me)
probably just get some good lambswools to put over the front seats.
it just the drivers seat anyhow...
this must be fairly common.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
id also like to know since i have mint leather except for one little patch where you slide in and out your drivers seat ive given it a couple of conditioners and its come up better but is still a little hard ... the cracks are small and would be hardly noticed if the section could be sofened up a bit

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
HDT aero, mine are exactly the same... its like there mising some tanning solution or something... as I say its quite common in that area...
would be nice to know a cheap way of fixing

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
ive been told to use dubbin ill let you know how i go

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The trouble with Dubbin as that it has a lot of wax in it which means that when sunlight is on the leather it heats up and the wax melts and goes over whatever you are wearing. All car places carry many different brands of leather care products, some are better than others. The one thing I've learn't about leather seats is that if they are properly cared for from new they will last for many years....neglect them and within a few years they are cactus. Produce stores, saddlers and store selling leather upholstered furniture also carry this stuff. A good saddler would be the best bet for a recommendation or anyone who rides horses.