Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LSD what do I need 2 know

brentons_house

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
I'm wanting to get a LSD put in my vs commodore I was just wondering what i need to know about them and if it's possible to do it myself and also waht the costs are? I don't want to get a mini spool either.

dlzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 3.8 V6
costs are around 400+
wahts to know.. both tyres spin, more traction.
i would get it professionaly done if you dont knwo to much on them

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
i done it myself (and changed gears at the same time)

when i finished i realised the amount of money i had spent on parts and tools alone could have had it professionally done.

its a tricky job with alot of pulling apart and putting back together to get your gears meshing correctly is basically a trial and error process (more or less)

it took me quite a while but i now have the satisfaction of knowing that if anything goes wrong i have the tools and knowledge to fix it.

have a look at the axle tech section of this site and youll know what to expect..,. its not a commodore diff but its an almost identical process to whats described

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/fscu/axletech/

this link is for the actuall rebuild of the lsd centre if your interested

http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/9boltservice.shtml

brentons_house

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
thanks for that stuff to read I think I might have a go at it myself but like how do I buy one I mean are there options or is it just standand?

EDIT:

so what should I be looking for if I want to get one?

Last edited:

brentons_house

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
this a bump because I don't think anyone is ready my post help me please :)

sleeper5L

No substitute for CUBES
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR BT1
There are two types of LSD diff centres for commodores. The Hydratrack from the GTS and the standard LSD in the SS, and i guess in most HSVs aswell.

My VR runs a LSD, that i think, just uses shims to grip the gears and thus force both wheels to spin at the same speed under heavy acceleration.

To answer your question...
Just ask for a LSD centre for a VS (either IRS or live rear axel) and thats wat you'll get. If buying secondhand you might have to get new bearings and shims.
If your asking what to look for in a good condition diff you will have to go to a professional...

I hope that helps.

brentons_house

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
sleeper5L said:
There are two types of LSD diff centres for commodores. The Hydratrack from the GTS and the standard LSD in the SS, and i guess in most HSVs aswell.

My VR runs a LSD, that i think, just uses shims to grip the gears and thus force both wheels to spin at the same speed under heavy acceleration.

To answer your question...
Just ask for a LSD centre for a VS (either IRS or live rear axel) and thats wat you'll get. If buying secondhand you might have to get new bearings and shims.
If your asking what to look for in a good condition diff you will have to go to a professional...

I hope that helps.

thanks for that.

I have been told that the stock diff in a commodore is a borg warner, and on this site http://www.difftechnics.com.au/ their selling lockdiffs borg warner for $550. Does anyone know how good they are and if the price is reasonable?

slick_red_VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
I Am Pretty Sure When They Say A Lockdiff They Mean Spooled
If You Load Your Rear End Up Dont Spool It Cause You Run The Risk Of Snapping Your Axles.
Spools Are Fun And Cheaper But Lsd Is The Way To Go I Have A Vr Bought An Irs Lsd Centre Off Ebay For $200 With 60000kms On It Put It In Myself But I Have Done A Few Years Of Mechanics Not Too Difficult If You Are Just Doing A Changeover
Check Your Uni Joints At The Same Time And Make Sure The Tailshaft Goes On Correctly Or You Will Hear A Little Clunk When Rolling At Idle

brentons_house

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
how can you tell how many Km's they have done or just take the word of the person selling them. Yeah I have read some stuff and talked to people it doesn't sound to hard to do a change over.

slick_red_VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
brentons_house said:
how can you tell how many Km's they have done or just take the word of the person selling them. Yeah I have read some stuff and talked to people it doesn't sound to hard to do a change over.

I guess you just have to trust the person selling it but as we know sometimes people talk crap to get the good end of the bargain.