Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing VS V6 - how hard ?

S

stapla

Hi Guys

Just brought a cheapie VS for $1900. Motor and trans are stuffed. Motor has really loud knock and trans is slipping so bad it doesn't drive. Apart from that it runs like a dream ;)

How much work is involved in swapping motor and trans over in a home garage ? What tools are required and is there any online workshop manual instructions ?

Cheers
Peter

cracker

Reaction score
hoist/block and tackle apart from that not really its pretty easy

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
If the motor knocks and the transmission slips so bad it doesn't drive,how the hell do you kno it runs like a dream.
If someone has destroyed a motor and box, the odss are the rst of the car has been fanged as well.
Anyway its probably yours already so be warned, unless you have done some mechanical work previously, its not just a simple job changing a motor and gearbox.
Also using a block and tackle is not a simple job either. People get hurt doing things because they assume they can do it.
Try getting a few mates who have done some work or ask your dad or your mates dads who have done some work if they can help.
To change an engine and box it at least a full days work, for a mechanci its at leats 8 hour so to the untrained its at leats twice as long.
Get a manual and study what you are aimin g to do and have a look at everything before you start.

S

stapla

theburna , thanks for the tips.

I've swapped a few motors b4 - old toranas, honda civics etc.

I know the old torrie i jacked up the car, removed radiator and bonnet and pulled the motor and trans out in 1 piece. I guess vs commo's are the same ?

cheers
peter.

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
a little more difficult and a lot more **** to disconnect.
have a good look a few times before you start and grab a manual, at least borrow on form a local library.