Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tightening water pump pulley bolts - how!?!!?!

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
I replaced the water pump on the vs on monday. went to start it today after about a 100km of driving. faced with a massive noise (kinda like the sound the balancer made 3 weeks ago when it let go). turned it off and stare at the engine. notice the water pump pulley isn't actually really attached to the car that well.

one bolt had left the scene completely. one was out the front gate and making a dash for freedom. one had the front door open. the last was staying home to feed the dog.

i got 4 new bolts. now, how do i get them to stay firmly attached to the pulley and pump? the problem is that when you tighten them, the whole pulley turns. any suggestions?

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
vh-holden said:
I replaced the water pump on the vs on monday. went to start it today after about a 100km of driving. faced with a massive noise (kinda like the sound the balancer made 3 weeks ago when it let go). turned it off and stare at the engine. notice the water pump pulley isn't actually really attached to the car that well.

one bolt had left the scene completely. one was out the front gate and making a dash for freedom. one had the front door open. the last was staying home to feed the dog.

i got 4 new bolts. now, how do i get them to stay firmly attached to the pulley and pump? the problem is that when you tighten them, the whole pulley turns. any suggestions?
put all the bolts in loosely, hold the pulley with your hand and tighten the bolts gradually. they should only be like 8 or 10mm bolts so they dont have to be tightened excessively. just make sure the pulley is centralised and sitting on the stub in the centre. :thumbsup:

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
vh-holden said:

disconnect battery,take fuel pump fuse and relay out...put it in gear...tighten bolts,motor shouldn't turn in gear.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
samuels said:
disconnect battery,take fuel pump fuse and relay out...put it in gear...tighten bolts,motor shouldn't turn in gear.
if the pulley is loose, you should remove the serpentine belt to do the job. as such would isolate the pump from the crank.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
just put the belt back on put it in gear and the on top of that hold the pulley with your hand on the belt and tighten them as tight as you can (well maybe not too tight as i managed to snap one overtigtening it lol)

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Use some loctite on the bolt threads

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
thread lock for the win (i hope)

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
try a long 10mm spanner, turn em to tight by hand and then hit the end with a hammer going 1,3,2,4
do this again and it should be just fine.
forget loctite if you even want to get em off later alloy to steel is a bad mix

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
theburna said:
try a long 10mm spanner, turn em to tight by hand and then hit the end with a hammer going 1,3,2,4
do this again and it should be just fine.
forget loctite if you even want to get em off later alloy to steel is a bad mix
for a start, the pump hub is steel too. dont be hitting anything with a hammer, especially that close to your radiator. nice and firm with a ring spanner should be plenty. go the loctite though

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Personally I'd use a socket wrench / torque wrench and tighten like in my crapola picture below...which looks more like a peperoni pizza than pulley... but you'll get the picture..

the bulk of the socket wrench head gives you something to push against... to stop the pulley from moving...it's all about how you use leverage to your advantage.

Last edited: