Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

knocking noise VR

R

reckless

ok Hello,Ive suddenly developed loud enough to hear while driving tapping sound at or behind power steering unit sounds like under where i fill power steer.yes p/s fluid did run low (out) but didnt make noise it usually makes when this happens, did have leaky hose which i fixed.steering doesnt seem to b affected knocking becomes louder when turning,also may not b connected but heard and felt large knock from gearbox when i put my foot down suddenly .Trany does slip (ex d car plus towed trailer recently) but i think these are seperate issues.thanks for reading any ideas B4 itake it to Holden ;Steve. also uses heaps of coolant.

Last edited by a moderator:

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
Last edited by reckless : Today at 09:33 PM. Reason: add words missus thinks im a flip.

lol ;) sorry i cant suggest anything, it maybe ur suspension and not power steering. as my sway bay bushes went, caused noises when ever i turned the wheel

Last edited:

bloodylegend

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S V6 Auto
sway bars might have gone that could of caused the knocking sound when turning.

your radiator is probably leaking

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
ceck 2 things first
Yes sway bars rubbers are an issue in these models
second and its hard to determine but use a floor jack and get right under the car and check the clearance of the engine mounts.
Mine sounded like the trans was cactus and when turning corners sounded like a strut had collapsed
Turned out to be an engine mount and the motor was moving excessively in one direction.
Also it strains the power steering lines and makes moan with almost every movement.

R

reckless

Thank you all for replies problem was harmonic balancer $490 to swap over at tuggerah holden dealership.Oh well **** appens that was my xtra cash till work begins,hope the rest of the year is more HARMONIOUS for me and U all tut-taaa .

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
lol i agrree, ive had to much problems each week on my vr commodore, better not have any more this year or i mite change my mind when buying a new car :(

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
you are up my way. I have a great mechanci, Mark Dewhurst at Wyee did my harmonic balance last year and then changed it after the manufacturer recalled em, cost me $100 for the harmonic balance and $100 labour.

R

reckless

yeah that would be right ill never go through holden again sounds like im paying double but i was pressed for time,i must be getting a really good one but how would you know;Thanks heaps BURNA.

P

*PNK.LDY*

Hey hows it going
I had a horrible knocking noise under my car & had it looked at hundreds of times but nobody could find it until yesterday morning i was driving along and when i turned a corner i heard this horrible loud clunk come from underneath my car & my boyfriend got out & found that the bushes had fallen off the front swaybar so maybe you should get that checked out.
My car had been making this horrible noise for at least ayear or longer and it was worse on corners.
i hope this is helpful. :p