Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Agree with holden?

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
since day one i bought ym vr commodore (v6 auto) i have had a "stalling" issue.

History: i replaced fuel pump,filter,regulator,(now the fuel system is fine - pressure tested etc)replaced a coil on the coil pack, replaced all the leads and spark plugs for the 3rd time, ran a few bottles of injector cleaner through, running premium fuel now though, service (oils coolant filters etc) bought a cold air intake and k&n panel filter(loving it :))new battery and alternator(was hoping it was only ythe battery that was screwed but wasnt :()new throttle position sensor and iac valve and MAP sensor(cleaned throttle body about 3 times now - off car,)and alot of suspension work has been done.

ok now, all of that has helped a heap with the "stalling issue" what happens is 1 outa 10 times i start the car, the revs are really low, i mean just a little over the first bar (500), soon as i change it into a gear,(rev or drive) the car stalls, ive had a problem with the ignition barrel not wonting to release my key (i gota wiggle it a fair bit then i can get it out,) ive been checkign my computer for error codes every week, and nearly every week i get error codes 12 (system ok) 31 ( Code 31 - Theft Deterrent Signal missing) i just went into holden and they said that your ignition barrell sounds like its on its way out, and they said that can cause the car to stall etc.

Do you guys agree with this? or think its something different causing the car to stall, and also how much do you think a new ignition barell would cost?

cheers for your help

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
I would of thought that if the theft deterrent signal was missing the car wouldnt start.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
hm i dunno, i dont no weather to trust holden coz i think they maybe ripping me off :(

vsuterus

Reaction score
Try bending the two metal contacts on the outside of the ignition barrel out a bit. (3-4mm) Sounds like the theft deterrent circuit is not completing. If that doesnt work try your spare key if you have one. The 2 contacts on the ignition barrel bend in over time and dont make proper contact. Good luck

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
If your key is wearing out, or doesnt make good contact between the metal part and your key than you will get these problems. I would be looking at a new key if yours is wearing out. When i bought my car the ignition barrel was the same, holding the key. I told the car yard and they had it fixed in half an hour and i have never had a problem with it. They didnt fit a new ignition barrel, just adjusted it. I would look in a gregorys manual to see if they help you or see a good mechanic.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
yea got a new keys a few months ago, still hav the same prob, i bent the contacts out, let you know how i go in a weeks time, cheers all

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Stalling is not a key or key reader issue, its sounds like a problem with the IACV or base idle.

Rob

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
yea i just finished changing all that ;) the cable (accelerator) was so tight it wasnt even resting against the throttle stop screw, ive slackened it off quiet a bit, and adjusted the base idle, and it seems to be good :) its hesitated once, but the IACV must been working because it put the revs back up :), cheers all

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
ive had so many people fiddle with it its not funny, now on if i cant do the work myself, im goin to holden to get it done and not any mechanic

Last edited:

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
lol theres the most sensible thing ive heard in ages, if you cant do it yourself, take it to the experts.

Rob