Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs problems once again

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Hey ppl i have a problem with my gf vs calais. for the past few weeks it sometimes it wont start but once i wet the coil pack it will. too me sounds like its the coil pack needing replacing or i got told it could be the crank angle sensor. any help would be great.

the car is going into holden next week an there gunna go over the whole car an giv me a list of things but all i want to know is wot i have said above

cheers

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Sounds like the CAS....wetting the coil pack should not change things except maybe the high tension leads will short out due to the water. Make sure you're sitting down when Holden give you the list of things to fix.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Hahahahaha nice one hako. Yeah getting Holden to give you a list of things to fix proberly isnt a good idea.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
im gettin holden too giv me a list but thay aint be going to fix it ill take the list an find cheaper prices

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
the problem with the general

If you take the car to holden they will assess the problems and check everything.
They will then list everything.
They will then quote you for everything including individual labour for everything.
I give you an example. I needed a transmission rebuild on a VC a few years ago the quote also stated that the rear main seal may have had issues and the starter motor was getting lazy.
OK not knowimg any better I put the car into GMH at Liverpool.
It cost
$650 to remove and rebuild the gearbox.
$900 to remove gearbox and replace rear main seal
$250 to remove and replace bushes on starter motor.

Now they took the gearbox out to fix it. They also took out the starter to remove the gearbox.
I took the case to the Fairtrading tribunal and it was stated that all quotes are individual and independent so you pay for labour 3 times.
I asked if 3 mechanics had worked on my car and they stated yes.
I then requested that the worksheet be produced.
It show one signature for all work and they stated this was the tradesman and that apprentices did the work.
It went on for 4 hour debating what I was charged and in the end Fairtrading stated that the motor repair industry was found to be quetionable in their billing methods.
In support I produced a bill from a mte who has a VN that was running a bit sick and the quote seperated the labout to put in new plugs and new leads allowing 45 for each job.
I ended up getting a refund that never arrived and to get it I had to go to court so I have never suggested that anyone use original manufacturer service.

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
I am talking about 1993

Peasant

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Manual Black
scoop said:
Hey ppl i have a problem with my gf vs calais. for the past few weeks it sometimes it wont start but once i wet the coil pack it will. too me sounds like its the coil pack needing replacing or i got told it could be the crank angle sensor. any help would be great.

the car is going into holden next week an there gunna go over the whole car an giv me a list of things but all i want to know is wot i have said above

cheers

My VS was doing this for ages. It only ever done it when it was still hot. It would crank but not spark up. I thought coil pack first, so I swapped mine over with my bro's wrecked vs in the carpark but it still done it. Then thought it was the knock sensor, so I just poured water over it every time it wouldnt start and it seemed to start up. So I went to the wreckers, got a $33 knock sensor, paid $60 to get it put in and the bastard still wouldnt start, then I tried the crank angle sensor, cost me $150 fitted and havnt had a problem since.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Peasant said:
My VS was doing this for ages. It only ever done it when it was still hot. It would crank but not spark up. I thought coil pack first, so I swapped mine over with my bro's wrecked vs in the carpark but it still done it. Then thought it was the knock sensor, so I just poured water over it every time it wouldnt start and it seemed to start up. So I went to the wreckers, got a $33 knock sensor, paid $60 to get it put in and the bastard still wouldnt start, then I tried the crank angle sensor, cost me $150 fitted and havnt had a problem since.

cheers mate had a idea it was that as i have said when i wet it she starts 1st go an is rite untill i stop again lol. but day b4 yesterday i took the leads off an dic con the batt over nite an hasn played up yet but im still gunna get it fixed so i no she's rite

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
theburna said:
If you take the car to holden they will assess the problems and check everything.
They will then list everything.
They will then quote you for everything including individual labour for everything.
I give you an example. I needed a transmission rebuild on a VC a few years ago the quote also stated that the rear main seal may have had issues and the starter motor was getting lazy.
OK not knowimg any better I put the car into GMH at Liverpool.
It cost
$650 to remove and rebuild the gearbox.
$900 to remove gearbox and replace rear main seal
$250 to remove and replace bushes on starter motor.

Now they took the gearbox out to fix it. They also took out the starter to remove the gearbox.
I took the case to the Fairtrading tribunal and it was stated that all quotes are individual and independent so you pay for labour 3 times.
I asked if 3 mechanics had worked on my car and they stated yes.
I then requested that the worksheet be produced.
It show one signature for all work and they stated this was the tradesman and that apprentices did the work.
It went on for 4 hour debating what I was charged and in the end Fairtrading stated that the motor repair industry was found to be quetionable in their billing methods.
In support I produced a bill from a mte who has a VN that was running a bit sick and the quote seperated the labout to put in new plugs and new leads allowing 45 for each job.
I ended up getting a refund that never arrived and to get it I had to go to court so I have never suggested that anyone use original manufacturer service.

sounds abit like a few other ones like lube mobile an ultra tune sayn it needs this an that lol its hard to find honest ppl theses days.