Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Car PC (project)

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Exec 3.8L V6
hey all,

after alot of reading decided to do my own carputer mainly cause i have GPS navigation and alllllllll of my mp3's and videos on it and can watch and listen to it any time plus can it looks pretty cool, i installed a 8" touch screen so no need for a mouse then i bought a e-vectra its a tiny pc from HP (p3 800mhz plenty of speed for my needs) and installed Media Engine as my front end (there r others but i like this one) it is still not finished only kinda fited the screen and am test running it, i know there are others that have done the same thing here but this is getting more and more popular and here is my version......

any improvements i can make r welcome

ill post regular updates.....

cheers
Alen

Attachments

• IMG_0003edit.jpg
    IMG_0003edit.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 740
  • IMG_0009edit.JPG
    IMG_0009edit.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 1,459
  • IMG_0009edit.JPG
    IMG_0009edit.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_0011edit.jpg
    IMG_0011edit.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_0017edit.jpg
    IMG_0017edit.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG_0022edit.jpg
    IMG_0022edit.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 1,521
Last edited:

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
that looks heaps mad :D hopefully one day i can do similar

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
good work buddy... that 8" fits nicely......

who makes that 8"??

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah the final product fits nicely i think i have fried half of my brain on thinking how i was going to fit it in there.......alot of mucking around.

not sure who makes it but i got it of ebay for under $260 i am pretty sure, came faulty but eing an electronics tech i had to figure it out as i was not prepared to send it back to honk kong and so on, all it was on one of the connectors 2 wires were crossed over so the usb feature did not want to work.

cheers
Alen

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Nice work mate, looks good and really neat fit. Seen a couple of these setups but never in a VR/VS and interested to know what it would look and fit like. Quick question - What did the whole package set you back? Where do you sit the e-Vectra?

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Why do I see you got the idea from hakhawk with his car pc.... I would say cool, but I've seen it done better & neeter.

Cheers
MaT

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
mate, looks EXCELLENT!!!!!!! reminds me of mine... exactly. lol. the stereo spot for the vn-vs are perfect for the 8" touchscreens. hey, tell me, whats reflection and lighting like with that screen in sunlight? keep the pics coming.

dlzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 3.8 V6
now just paint that bit of wood under it black or cover it :p

wow.. really.. well done thats alot of effort and looks sweet.
hope you have a good alarm system.

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoZy said:
Why do I see you got the idea from hakhawk with his car pc.... I would say cool, but I've seen it done better & neeter.

to tell u the truth i did not get it from hak hawk i have seen it done before (www.mp3car.com 1000's of cars with them) but thought i could not do it in my car (how am i going to fit an 8'' screen + computer etc) then while i was doing my 5'' lcd for a dvd player i stumbled on hak hawks commodore and saw him fit a large LCD that gave me confidence and so i did it,
besides i have contacted hak hawk while back while doing my other project and he was very helpfull (thnks hak hawk).

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
kopper69 said:
Nice work mate, looks good and really neat fit. Seen a couple of these setups but never in a VR/VS and interested to know what it would look and fit like. Quick question - What did the whole package set you back? Where do you sit the e-Vectra?

thanks

it costed a bit but the satisfaction of doing it your self and having sat nav and whole heap of other features is priceless:

LCD touch screen: $260 ebay
e-vectra: $155 ebay
dc to dc converter for the e-vectra $90 can get it cheaper ebay or so but needed it urgently,
gps mouse usb $98 ebay
the rest is software......

cheers
Alen