Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS IAC Valve & fuel pump noise

vsuterus

Reaction score
Hi,
My VS Calais doesn't really start the best, and idling can be a bit lumpy at times. All plugs/leads etc are fine. However when I turn the ignition to on the IAC valve makes a noise - obviously going up and down. I've never heard it before on any VS. I've cleaned the IAC and throttle body and it idles noticably better than before but still not the best.

Do these commonly play up or could it just be out of adjustment? To me it seems like the IAC valve its doing a self test before the engine starts, either that or its locating itself to where it thinks it should go but obviously isnt right.

Also when I turn the car to On it doesnt make any fuel pump noise. In my VP and all other petrol cars I've driven the fuel pump sound is always there for the first 2-3 seconds when switched to on. Could a faulty fuel pump increase fuel consumption?

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
I had the same probs with my IAC a while ago. I cleaned out the throttle body pulled it out and gave it a clean, but it weas never the same.
Everytime u start the car, the IAC valve will move in and out.
Mine was noisey after the clean too. I ended up buying a new one round 60 bucks.
The car took ages to start b4 I changed it.

Not sure it there is a method of setting them or not.
I just out the new one pluged it in and started the car. Seemed fine to me.

If u cant hear the fuel pump, then check the fuse for it and the relay b4 u worry bout ne thing else.

Let us no how u go.

Cheers, Keegan

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
regards to your iacv, take it out again, and make sure the diameter is 28mm, also make sure the little spring can move freely, and also, did you put the O Ring back in place? cheers, if that doesnt work private msg me as i have a spare one outa a vp here (works fine, thought my iacv was playing up but was fine) im pretty sure they are the same in the vs.

vsuterus

Reaction score
Just took out the IAC and set it to 27mm (should it be less than 28mm or exactly 28mm?) This is from the mounting face to the point on the end. Still seems the same. Fitzy I couldnt see a spring on it at all. Also when I took it out I could push the rod in, but couldnt pull it back out, so I just hooked it up and turned the ignition to on, then when I turned it off it came out to about 30mm. Then could adjust it down from there. O-ring's fine.

The fuel pressure regulator seems to be making a bit of noise, when disconnecting the vacuum hose off the noise disappears. I might go and get a new one, they're only $70 from holden, and it looks like its never been changed.

If the fuel pressure reg doesnt fix it, then I'll try the IACV off my VP and if that fixes it I'll PM you fitzy and buy the one you have.

Fuel pump actually sounds OK now, just a hell of a lot quieter than the vp one. Can hear it outside the car, but not in.

cheers

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
push the litlle black protecter thing down and there should be spring there