Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

water pump, do it myself ???

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
ive got a 1996 vs v6 exec and looks like the water pumps shot its making all kinds of wonderfull grinding noises and i think its leaked a couple of times which seems to be a warning when the pumps on its way out is this something i can attemp to do myself or should i pay through the nose and get our trusty holden techs to do it ??, im by no means a mechanic but every prob ive had ive seemed to fix it myself despite paying out for mechanics to fix it and getting zero results :bang:

V

VSAccCom

ive done it with the help of a mechanic who showed me, piece of piss really, just make sure u got something/somewhere to drain ur coolant and just make sure u get the right pump coz there where 2 pumps used if im not mistaken, then just get some loctite no3 and ur set, shouldnt take more than about 30-45 min

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Also draw how the serpentine belt goes on the pulleys as it is easy to forget how it goes.

A

anotherstockvs

yer im a 2nd year aprentice water pumps are ****in easy as on a vs, ive pulled my belt of a million times ands i know where it goes, just look in the owners manual and will have it there all ya need is sum pirmatex to put around the new water pump gasket and yer if u really want to u can put loc tite on the water pump bolts not really needed tho should take u 25 minutes with time to spare for a beer :p

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
VSAccCom said:
just make sure u get the right pump coz there where 2 pumps used if im not mistaken

sweet, thanks for your help guys, yeah i know that the belt is written in the book ive replaced the belt in my vn a mates vr and twice in my vt (first one perished after 100 kms :w00t: faulty i guess ??) but whats the deal with the two pumps ??? never herd of that before

woah just had a stupid moment :hit: yeah i know about the two pumps had to give the guy at holden my vin # so he could give me the right quoat my pumps the more expencive one :( $250ish , i was just thinkin whats this dude on about never herd of a car using two water pumps ??? my bad :w00t:

V

VSAccCom

nah dont put loctite on the bolts, loctite 3 is a gasket sealer (mechanics should know that) dam u shoulda just got the jap made one from repco for like 130 bucks dude, i got same one as you no fkn way im paying 300 for a dam water pump

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
i was told that it wasent a good idea to buy after market pump and it dosent line up or somethin ?>?? havent bought the new pump yet

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
water pumps are a piece of p#ss to do just make sure you get the right one or the pulley wont fit it

yes there are two water pump types may1996 they changed so check what month your car was made

if you happen to get the wrong one go to a wrecker and get a pulley for the belt from a vn they work as i found out.

clinster73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
Id had the fun job of doin a water pump on my ecotec last week.
It took me around 3hrs to do. i took my time especially in cleaning off the old gasket.
The cost was $90 odd bucks for a pump from REPCO with warranty.
& $5 for a bottle of gasket goo (non hardening)
The Holden one was $260. (stuff that!)
I also had to get some more coolant ($10) and one of the lil bolts from the waterpump pulley decided to round itself (.60c).
I ended up moving the coilpack out of the way so i could get to the bottom radiator hose easily and i took off the pulley for the power steering pump, to get to one of the water pump bolts. The 'Gregorys' manual doenst say to take those bits off...???

There is a difference in pumps (the length of the shaft or something)
If your engine no. is VU6xxxxxx then it is the later model water pump your after.

So for a lil over $100 i did the job myself (should note i am a mechanic..)

Out of interest i called Holdens to see how much they would of charged:
Labour: $280 "its a 3 hr job mate" he said.
Parts : $260 for the pump and then no doubt extra for coolant.

Do the math:'do it your self'.

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
heh thanks dude i should of posted that i found out that the water pump had been replaced and was brand new ended up beeing a dodgy thermostat