Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headlights: xenon-style vs. Plus 50s

srey

Wombat
Reaction score
Website
www.farkin.net
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Hey guys, I've got a VR wagon, and I've been looking at some new headlight globes.

I don't want to spend a fortune and since the headlamps themselves are in alright condition I don't fancy buying new ones, so higher wattage globes are out.

There's two options I have been considering though:
1) A set of Narva "Plus 50" globes for the headlamps.
2) White xenon look globes.

I'd like to get a bit more light as most of my driving is in rural areas and the extra light is always a help, so in the regard the Plus 50s seem like a good idea.

On the other hand, the white look would be nice, and all the companies talk up how much better the white light is. That would mean three sets of globes though (headlamps, high beam lamps and parkers) and they're more expensive (my local auto shop had the Narva ones btw).

So my question is: who's got experience with either sort of globe, and which is better? Do the Plus50s really give off that much more light? Is the white light any better to drive by or would I just be paying the money for the cosmetics of it all. Any other traps I should be careful of?

And while I'm asking about headlights, what is the go with part numbers for the globes? There's a number printed on the caps on the lamps, but they don't seem to be the same format as any of the part numbers used for globes in stores. I know that I can just ask at Auto1 or wherever, but I'm curious myself.

Thanks for any help people, Shayne.

dlzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 3.8 V6
i got the narva artic blues.. got a set for 35buks with parkers.

nice white light and brighter then the yellow ones.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
xenon look suck
narva plus 50s rock

you do the math from there :)

the plus 50s I don't think are as good as they claim, but they are the best I've tried. The light from xenon style is usually just tinted by a coloured lense - tinting light means preventing selected wavelengths from passing through - this must then reduce total light output. Also, these style of bulbs tend to be cheaper, therefore lower quality - therefore, less light output, higher heat output and reduced life expectancy before blowing.

Also - I strongly suggest that you don't go above factory spec wattages. As you increase the wattage rating on the bulbs, you put increased load on the wiring, and the amount of heat produced increases much more substantially than the amount of light put out...

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
ok, this is what i know from working at autobarn and selling the things. i also had a night of listening to the philips rep tell us all about them.

the white xenon look ones will give you same distance of light as stock globes, but will givce a wider and more detailed, sharp white light that is absolutely beautiful on the eyes for long drives.

the plus 50 style will give you same colour, but 50% more distance light.

if you're after more distance, go the philips vision plus globes, theyre about $25 each. they are equivalent of narva plus 50s, but are a quartz halogen glass and will last alot longer.

otherwise, go the philips bluevisions for a nice white light with great detail.

i have a set of bluevisions, they were brilliant in my vn, im not using crystalvisions, next ones up from bluevision, theyre much whiter, but distance is a bit shorter. i got a choice of a free set from the rep night, and chose them to see what theyre like. but theyre "illegal" because theyre life is only about 350 hours, adr must be atleast 400

hope that helped

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
oh, all the philips range are 60/55watt, or 55 or 60 depending on which globe, and are not cheaply made. they all use the quartz halogen glass.

Rod VZ Storm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm ute M6
Ive put Narva Plus50 in my dads Pathfinder 4wd and my VZ Commo. They are just the normal 55/60W. I didnt do the seperate high beam bulb, just the combo.

A definate inprovement for $25-30 a pair.
I would highly recommend them.

Ive been told that a number of the white and blue look bulbs actually have a shorter life. I would not go for higher wattage as the others have said. More current more heat and it could melt your headlights and wiring !

If you do country driving get a pair of driving lights on one of these number plate nudge bar things. Once you have owned a car with driving lights you will never go back.
The nudge bar do-dads are about $50 and a set of resonable Navra 100w driving lights start at about $100 a pair if you get them on sale. You can spend a lot more, but the $100-$200 lights are OK.
You can normally choose 2 spread beams or a combo with one long range pencil bean and a spread beam.

michael_pomroy

use_it_or_lose_it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina 3.8L
my dad works for the holden dealership in spare parts, he was telling me the otherday about globes cause a friend bought some for his vs. he just mentioned that they are made by the same company over in germany i think 'osram' or something like that, if that helps a bit maybe. also i had some narva plus 50's and gave em to a friend to buy to put in his vr wagon, and i also had some narva arctic blues, we thought the artic blues looked better and produced more light

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
i ahve arctic blue's in my vg and they light up the road the best out of all of the globes ive tried and plus they look cool :yeah:
i suggest the 100 watt high beams over stock with 40 amp fuses because they shoot light out about 50 meters further than the 55 watters

srey

Wombat
Reaction score
Website
www.farkin.net
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Rod VZ Storm said:
If you do country driving get a pair of driving lights on one of these number plate nudge bar things. Once you have owned a car with driving lights you will never go back.
In my old datto I had a set of "driving lights" (they were actually light aircraft landing lights ;) ) and I definately know the benefit, so they may be an option at a later stage.

Thanks for all your input though guys, I'll give it some more thought and figure out which way I should go (higher wattage is definately out though).