Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 auto wont go past 2nd gear

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Ok this is very recent problem that I've been having with my vr berlina sedan, although it gradually got worse. Whenever I am driving, say at 80km/hour, its revving at 3.5-4k and WONT go up to 3rd or forth gear. If I take my foot off the accelerator the revs drop as usual, but the second I start to accelerate it goes straight up to 4kish. Its almost as though I have selected second gear, it just wont jump to 3rd or forth and on long trips it costs a lot in fuel not to mention gets the motor hot!

Occasionally it will flick up to 3rd or 4th but RARELY and not for long, it often jumps between 2nd 3rd and 4th quickly even while on cruise control.

Any ideas on the possible problem, like what actually determines wat gear the car should be in in an auto, as Im assuming thats where the problem lies.
I checked the computer for faults, code 12 so nothing wrong there.

thanks for any help :(

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
its called limp mode, do a computer check, found in Howto section, simpel sensor playing up prolly, cheers

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Well initially I was going to say something to do with the exhaust, but if it is revving that high then no it won't be.. I got rear ended yesterday and it kinked my exhaust, car is smart enough to not let me rev too high or let me shift to 3rd (and therefore keeps the flow through the exhaust to a safe level)...

No idea mate.

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
I think you guys misunderstand. My exhaust is fine. Say I go to take off, revs to about 2500rpm in 1st, changes to second gear, instead of changing to 3rd at ~2500rpm, it stays in 2nd and doesnt change to 3rd, so when I'm going at like 80km/h its revving its balls off at like 3500rpm - 4000rpm and it WONT go to 3rd or 4th at all, well it will, once in a blue moon... and even when it does it wont stay in high gear, instead after about 5 second it drops back to second, and there I am cruising at 80 in 2nd.

I did do a comp check, code 12, meaning it doesnt see a problem.

Hmm, my car is booked into an automatic gearbox repairer on wednesday, hopefully its something simple.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
fitzy2005 said:
its called limp mode, do a computer check, found in Howto section, simpel sensor playing up prolly, cheers

its a safety feature which doesnt allow you to change out of 2nd gear.. when you checked your codes did you relise its displayed 3 times. (eg. 12,12,12,31,31,31) etc

it doesnt have anything to do with your exhaust, could be a sensor or something small, if all the codes are 12 (12,12,12,12,12,12 etc) then try hooking a computer (tech1 i think there called) at holden done. cheers

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
then after all that worry about a transmission repair

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
crap, no I didnt realise its displayed 3 times, first thing in the morning thats what Ill check!

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
thanks, so do I :p

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Quick q, sorry to hijack the thread. Would a kinked exhaust (restricting exhaust flow) be enough to send a car into "limp home" mode?

As above I got rear-ended, looks like just exhaust damage, hoping it isn't anything more serious (all covered anyway, but would just be a pain).