Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Temperature Gauge

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
Does anybody know how to wire up a temp gauge for the transmission ?

Do I use a standard temp gauge ?

I firstly want to know how hot it is getting on hot days when i've been giving it a bit of stick. :my: My gearbox probably generate more heat than standard, due to having a Stage 2 shift kit installed. I would also like to keep an eye on it, when I tow a boat and or trailer on long trips.

Last edited:

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
lol love the little icon, i havent done this but maybe try the elctric/wiring section?

Notorious

Notoriou$
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2 3.8L
Shift kits reduce transmissions heat due to sharper shifts and less lag/slippage. If your really worryed install a tranny cooler

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
I guess your right less heat from the stage 2, but on hot day I would like to know if I should take it easy for a while. Towing a boat for an hour and a half or two, up and down hill cause my bro VS trans to slip. :my: ( Although he now has a thermo fan ) I already have a thermo fan and trans cooler.

Attachments

• Trans Cooler.JPG
    Trans Cooler.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 862
P

pathfinderus maximus

have done it

after asking a few different people, the ones that knew what they were talking about said to put a t-piece on the oil line that goes to the oil cooler.

from the t-piece ive use an electronic sender, which operates the gauge in the cab. would love to know your operating temps with normal driving. i realise youve probably got the 4l60e (or what ever you call it), i have a t700, with top notch cooler, lugging around my 2tonne + pathy.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
A tee piece would read a lower than actual temp due to heal loss in the pipe (no matter how short it is). The correct way is to fit an adaptor to the oil pan - screw the sender to the adaptor - this way you measure the oil in the pan. I think Borg Warner used to make adaptors that bolted to the pan.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
hako said:
A tee piece would read a lower than actual temp due to heal loss in the pipe (no matter how short it is). The correct way is to fit an adaptor to the oil pan - screw the sender to the adaptor - this way you measure the oil in the pan. I think Borg Warner used to make adaptors that bolted to the pan.

I have never seen a temp sender on a oil pan before... usually they just plug them into an oil gallery...

If you want more accuracy...then use the T-piece off the tranny end of the oil cooler line...just be sure you use the outlet and not the inlet...

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I suppose it is immaterial where you plug it - as long as you know what normal operating temp is and know when it rises to danger point. The Borg Warner ones had temp markings on the gauge and also colour zones to depict overheating. That was 20 years ago when they were made in Australia to suit local conditions.....the one you buy nowdays is probably a one size fits all. Sounds like a good idea to measure the oil temp however.

dbates

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
I just had a look at the Stewart Warner web site & they don't seem to recommend any particular location for the sender. As HAKO said, that once it is in, you will learn what the usual operating temp is, then any increase in temp will show that the box is working a bit harder and you need to slow down a bit or something. SW did say that you can drill a hole in the pan and braze in the adapter provided with the kit.
I would be carefull where it goes as to not fowl anything in the box and not too much heat is used when brazing as pan might distort.