Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken Accelerator Cable

tristanwalz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
Hi All

Recently while driving down the road I felt an unusual tightness in my accelerator. Thinking it was nothing I absent mindedly pressed harder on the accelerator to free whatever seemed to be jamming it. Alas, the cable was on it's way out and that was the final straw.

After calling RACQ and getting it towed home I gained some advice from the friendly RACQ truckie that it would not be hard to replace myself.

Any tips or things to be wary of?

I can see that where it attaches to the throttle body is a simple enough affair but I'm not so sure about where it enters the rear of the dash and whether or not it'll be easier to get a professional to do it. I've been told it's a 20 minute job.

Any help appreciated.

Dexn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina S2
G'day mate,

I think you'd be better off posting in the VR/VS forums (http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=55). This section is for tutorials/how-to's.

Also, have a bit of a search too - something may come up under "throttle cable" instead of "accelerator cable".

Oh - and: Welcome to JC ;)

V

vncalaispedz

the messy but easiest way is to tape the new cable to the end of the old one and pull it through dislodging itwherever it gets jammed and connect boths ends once its all the way through msg me for a by the book way if you dont want to damage anything

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
just pull the old one out and slide the new one through. i suggest you start at the tb. Unscrew the old one bolt the new on then push it through the hole push the new one through. Then find were the clip, clips onto the go go foot rest, It just pops off pop the new clip on and bobs your uncle. Next bit is to ajust the cable.. Make it tight enough to take up all the slack in the accelerator but dont put to much on or your will have a high idle. Ie there is a spot that is just write. you may need to turn the car on etc to make sure you get it in the correct spot. If you dont get it tight enough you might not get full throttle and your accerator will move before you get anyway. Its really EASY to do takes about 10 minutes was one of the first things i did to my vp.

Michael

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Simpler to start under the dash, that way you have all the inner cable to work with, easy to change one, just NEVER oil one, they are nylon inside nylon and will swell up and get very jerky if oiled.

The fix is very simple, buy a big syringe and needle and fill it with metho, NO not in your arm silly, in the cable that's removed from the throttle body and hung up high onto the front bonnet spring, keep injecting with a rag covering the high open end as a seal and another inside the car to catch the drain until it moves freely.

Beats the heck outa buying a new one, but even at GM they are only $20.

Tip; run the outer to the front of the car, (one cable tie above the alternator) and back into the TB, easier bends than going along the firewall.