Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing a muffler

S

smithy7783

Wanting advive on removing mufflers for more bark!

I have a 95 vs berlina, it has a full stock exhaust and i wan't to get a bit of a bark out of it. i was thinking of just removing one of the front mufflers and the rear muffler. Was wondering whether anyone has done something similar, and is it easy to do? will it effect performance much? and will it be too loud?
Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
hm i would just save a fair few bucks and got a sports exhaust put on, save you fines in the long run :)

Last edited:
S

smithy7783

fitzy,
do you think it will be cheaper to get a sports system? i was thinking this would be cheaper!

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
most likely in the long run, i think thats illegal so u'll be bound to be pulled ova

Last edited:

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
I think the "front" muffler is the catalytic converter and is illegal to deactivate without other changes to the exhaust.

spauldj308

S Pack Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S sedan 5L, VSII ute
There is a front muffler, the cat, and the rear muffler. I think the rear one is a resonator. I'm not sure, cause I just have a straight pipe where hat used to be.

vnbelina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 3.8
removing the muffler the one closet to the back bumber will give u more noise and apparently a bit more power. it will be vary drony but will till sound alright. it will cost bout 40 dollars to get it chopped off and replace with strait pipe should take bout 30 min and any exaust place. its a good option if u dont have alot of money. as for the loudness its not very lound and u shouldnt have any problems even with the cops

94vrexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
hey im interested in the same thing. im low on money tho do u rekon i cud cut the muffler off and chuk in a straight pipe myself? wot sort of pipe wud it have to be? and what sort of weld?

bloodylegend

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S V6 Auto
cant you buy one of those things for like $50 from a car shop like repco which just attaches to the end of your muffler at the back and it soughta enhances your note? i dont know if they work or not though.

vnbelina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 3.8
yes doin it your self is easy as. not sure what piping but mig weld will do the job