Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Error Code 36 - Vacuum Leak

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
Error Code 36 - Vacuum Leak

after my car stalling and revs dropping today when applying the brakes (didnt happen all the time about 60% of time and only when brakes were apllied ), i did a error code check and returned 12 and 36, now code 36 is a vacuum leak, ive checked all the hoses and all the throttle body and i cant seem to find were its leaking.. (i sprayed some carby cleaner all around the outside of tb tos ee if leak was there and no luck) my question is, will i get this error code if my master cylinder is playing up?

Last edited:

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
did you check the vacuum lines behind the intake manifold near the firewall????

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
yea still no luck, mite get some replacement line tomoz to replace some of them ant way, also gonna get new gaskets for intake manifold and throttle body

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Sounds to me like your brake booster is shot - you may hear a sucking noise when you apply brakes ? Can be bad for the engine as everytime you apply the brake it gets unmetered air and runs lean.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
damn, how much would a new booster cost roughly?
with mine (pic is off ebay) the little white hose joiner thing can move is this normal?

Attachments

• 16_2.JPG
    16_2.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 408

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Yes that will move in the rubber.Pump your brakes with the engine off until the pedal becomes hard. While still holding the brake pedal down start the car. If the pedal drops down more your booster is fine.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
vt1538 said:
Yes that will move in the rubber.Pump your brakes with the engine off until the pedal becomes hard. While still holding the brake pedal down start the car. If the pedal drops down more your booster is fine.

hmm well according to your pst its fine, im lost wot could be causing this :s

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
update: replaced both gaskets (Intake manifold and Throttle) took the IACv out wound back to 28mm(was at 31) TPS seemed to be clean, cleaned throttle body, reset computer, vacuum leak not present now, but still have the brake/rev issue drove down town for a bit, came upto a round about used brake revs drops to the first line 500 then release brake to go, and revs went back to about 1grand ..

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Disconnect the booster & plug the vaccuum line. Start the engine & see if the revs still fluctuate under braking. Do not drive the vehicle with the vaccuum line disconnected. If they dont change then yes the booster is stuffed. Sorry I didnt read your first post correctly.

KeepItStock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Executive V6
Hey guys I know this is an old thread but I am facing the same kind of problem regarding my brakes, fitzy2005 what was the cause of the fluctuating idle when using the brakes? My problem is only the fact that the brakes need more effort than it should in order to stop the car.. while stopped a good amount of foot pushed on the brake is required to keep the car from moving forward. (level ground)

new pads all around,
machined rotors front
new rotors back
fluid completely bled
new master cylinder
new booster (done the brake pump test.. pedal drops like it should)
new MAP sensor
checked all vacuum hoses (should i even replace?)
new Idle air controller valve
new tps

I have spent so much on all these components I just want this to be fixed. Help will be much appreciated guys. Cheers