Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Guage acting weird

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Hello All,

I bought a VS Calais last night and first thing I done was fill her up, strangely it only cost me $50 and the guage was below the red line, anyways, I did around 30-40k's last night and noticed today going to work that the needle was just below the first line so a mm under full tank which is fair enough, on the way home from work today the needle was just above the 3/4 line, I'm thinking, that can't be right, then I noticed when I braked the guage went up to the original position it was in, in the morning then slowly went back down, most of the way home it sometimes went up half way then down. Any ideas on why it's doing this? now obviously the fuel economy can't be that bad, I wasn't even pushing it either.

Thanks.

A

anotherstockvs

yer with my vs V6 it usually dose the half of a tank in about 270kms and the otha half just dissapears before u kno it but in a V8 u can get 100-150km to half a tank not puttin ya foot oh well mayb around sum corners :p

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Yeah mine does that a little too... I think it depends on the angle your car is sitting on somewhat.

Mine actually fills to beyond the top line :S Don't know if the red line is accurate, never gone that low.. only had it a few weeks.

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
I couldn't of gone thru 1/4 of a tank under 80k's of travel!! tho i bought the car which has been serviced regularly all it's life till dec 04 so yeah it's missed a year of servicing which I will be doing shortly.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
It wouldn't have eaten 1/4 tank.

The guage isn't 100% accurate... i just figure than when it's under 1/4 full it's time to get to the servo :)

I use the trip speedo as more of a guide, I know how much it has done and how i have driven it, so I generally have a pretty good idea of how much further I can get on the tank.

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
This morning to work it dipped below 3/4's then up a couple of mm, between full and 3/4, distance before empty was like 380k, dropped like 30 k since yesterday morning.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I think it could be either a loose wire/ bad connection between the wire to the sender unit on the outside of the fuel tank or there is something wrong with the fuel sender unit in the tank, which is a part of the fuel pump.

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
I suggest you service your car first then see if it is still happening. If so get it looked at. I find my fuel guage goes up and down depending on how your driving it and at what speed.

C

charged6_vsacclaim

my vs did exactly the same thing all i did was change the fuel sender unit and it was fine i think the problem was the float on the sender was rs and wouldnt give me an exact reading. i picked up a sender unit cheap at the wreckers and it hasnt missed a beat.