Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent Problem

VS97II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive II
Hey guys I was driving home from work today and I noticed that my windscreen wipers wern't working as fast as usual. I kept driving along thinking, there must be something wrong with the wiper blades. Then I look down and see the battery light (dim) on the dash.

I tested the battery and it is outputting approx 11.5 volts and should be around 14, so definitely not charging (properly)...

Any ideas of what could be causing this, my thinking it is the regulator?? What does everything else think?

VS series 2 executive.

DeiCide

DeiCide
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 L67
Alternator? get that checked, also check all the conections, scrub them with a wire brush and rub vasoline to prevent furthur corrotion. hope that helps?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
VS97II said:
Any ideas of what could be causing this, my thinking it is the regulator?? What does everything else think?
do you mean the alternator?
could be,just get a battery and alternator test done (most auto shops like autobarn,supercheap,etc. will do one for free) and see what that says.
it also could be that the battery just isnt holding the charge well anymore,it can happen when they get old...also check the fluid levels in the battery and make sure they are all ok.
oh,and if your battery connections are lookin a bit crusty,get some sandpaper and clean em up a bit.

vsuterus

Reaction score
Pull one of the leads off the Battery while it is running. If the engine stalls, it means your alternator is not pumping out any volts and either the alternator is buggered, or one of the brushes is not making any contact at all. If it doesnt stall, but runs rough, then one of the brushes is only making slight contact with the armature and will need changing.

VS's have an external regulator, so pull your engine cover off and take this off the alternator and inspect the brushes, one of them is more that likely worn out. You can either buy a set of new brushes for $3.50 and solder them in yourself, or buy a whole new reg for about $45 and clip this straight in.

VS97II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive II
Alternator

Thanks for the advice guys, I changed the regulator. Went to turn the car on and noticed something was making a 'whining' sound, popped the bonnet and it is the alternator making the sound. I could also smell an electrical burning smell and the alternator felt really hot. Only had it on for about 45 seconds.

So I unbolted the alternator had a look and couldnt see anything wrong, so I bolted it back on.

Now that I think about it, there was a peice of ceramic lying just under the alternator, when I initially took it off. Back bearing broken?? Looks like bye bye alternator

So now its wait until Monday to get it repaired, unless anyone has any other suggestions??

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
Check the price of a new unit as well as getting a quote to recondition your old one. Sometimes the price difference is such that a new one is better value in the long run.

regards
Pete

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
VS97II said:
I tested the battery and it is outputting approx 11.5 volts and should be around 14, so definitely not charging (properly)
VS series 2 executive.

You mean 14V across the battery when the cars running right?? It will be the alternator, not the regulator. The regulator keeps the voltage DOWN to 14V when the engine is revving higher. WIthout it, you can damage some stuff from excess voltage.

If you have a battery charger, you could leave your battery on charge every night untill you are able to get a new alternator, or get the current one rebuilt. Would keep the charge up during the day

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
Oh, and its not advisable to pull the terminals off when the cars running. This could cause a spike and damage delicate computer parts. Not to meantion the battery vents flammable hydrogen gas when charging, and pulling the terminal off could cause a spark

VS97II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive II
Thanks Semi, yeah I meant that the battery is supposed to be reading approx 14V not 11V (as it was). As I said I replaced the regulator anyway and it made no difference (well it seems to have made it worse). So, must be the altenator....