Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Used VR/VS's...how many km is too many?

Rzeractor

Reaction score
Just after an average on what would be too many km on a 2nd hand one...
Cause most I see for sale are like, just under or just over 200,000km...

Cause I have my eye on
This one
and this one

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
The biggest thing I looked at, is servicing. I dont buy unless it has full service history.
And to remember that usually they allow for 20k a year to be driven.

So for the light green on ks seem to be on par.

Not sure how many ks on the other one, but it has electric windows.

Also probly pay to get an inspection. . . .

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers, Keegan

DJ Ice

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 VE Calais V
KM's seem about right...look for oil leaks from engine and power steer...check transmission service history if any. I purchased my VR about 3 years ago with similiar KM's on it and have added another 100,000 and still going really well, haven't spent very much on it apart from normal brake pads aircon regas etc.

V

VSCalais3.8L

Mileage

When I got my VS Calais, it had 308000k's on it... That sounds extreme but, the previous owner serviced it copiously (ie AT LEAST every 10000k) and he owned it from new and was a Baptist Minister (IF YOU'D BELIEVE IT, I had alot of trouble I almost laughed in his face, bought it directly from him $4500). Due to being treated so nicely, servicing, never been thrashed, even tho the extreme mileage it drives like NEW!!! It's more about the servicing and how the car's been treated than anything else... :yeah: :cool2:

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
I bought my VR Calais with 226,000 on the clock with a full log book, service every 10,000 and only one owner. She runs great, got it serviced the other day, the only problem they found was 2 small wholes in the exhaust

rajawolf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT wagon acclaim
As "deserthead" said.... have it inspected...make sure they check out the welsh plugs..if they are leaking or look suss...the motor has to come out for all to be replaced.. cost about $800 :(.

Cheers.

N

NXNVR-6

I bought a VR Seris II Exec 18 months ago with 222,000kms.. its now got approx. 249,000 on it. Never had a problem, runs great. Had its last service at 238,000kms. I just look after it, check the oil regularly, etc. Iv thrown some extractors, exhaust, cai, lowered it, mags, tints, stereo,. etc. If you're thinking about it for ur first car, go ahead. If you're worried about Kms and weather its worth doing up.. just go for it, dont worry about the kms.. like other have said as long as its been looked after and has been service regularly and has a long service history.

nomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina wagon.
My VR has 189500 odd on it & has been serviced religiously, & I'm going to continue doing the same. No leaks anywhere.

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Also check if it has a tow bar. My VR berlina had 186,000 km's when I bought it (now 194,000) and I recently had to get my gearbox reconditioned for $1400 because the previous owners, even though the car was never thrashed hard etc, towed their big boat a lot, putting a lot of stress onto the gearbox wearing it out faster.

So a car without a tow bar fitted has obviously not towed anything, so I'd say that would be a good thing to look out for if your looking at not spending any money on the gearbox :)