Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ute- 3 seater conversion.

uteboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
G'day, my VS ute is a 2 seater job, i was just wondering if anyone knew of what was required and wat is involved in converting it to 3 seater? preferrabl legally but as long as it looks legal that will do. any help would be good...
thanks.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
the column shift will e fairly pricey to do. I know that they made vp's with column shift and bench seats, dunno about VS

uteboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Yeah i have defanitly seen VS utes with bench seats, whats this column shift but?

S

sc0pe

your best bet is to find someone with a bench column setup that wants to swap...it can be done, god knows why tho...

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I've seen a factory original VR sedan with a bench seat...with on the tree auto.

Parts will be available...at a holden ute wreckers

the middle seat will probablly interfer with your shifter...I'm not certain about that though...

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
some taxi sedans have a bench

maybe try to find a wrecked or auction one, then you have all the parts

Struma

Urge Surfer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Executive Ute
Column Auto

A 1996 (VS?) Series Two Ute I test drove the other day has a 4 speed column shift auto and a "token" third seat position.
Nothing like the bench on an old HQ though.
The selector is an arm like the old three on the tree column shift, and moves from about 12.00 o'clock (P) anti clockwise to about 08.00 (D).
The display for the selected gear is a little window on top of the steering column with a needle moving across it. This window is hard to see if the vehicle has an air bag (and I am not a dwarf - 1850mm).
Handbrake is a fall down (to avoid groinings) after tensioning type on the rhs of the drivers seat.

Obviously no centre console.

I felt like an American, shifting across the top of the steering wheel, and would be thinking about getting the shifter off the column and onto the floor - the centre piece of the seat looks like it can easily be seperately removed. Would provide much needed in cabin storage and maybe a spot to put an aftermarket shifter...don't know about the effect on the steering column housing though.

I like having an excuse not to give anyone a lift.

Cheers,

Struma

vsuterus

Reaction score
They made auto and manual variants of the 3 seater VG-VR-VS series I/II/III utes. All autos were column shift, and manuals were still floor shift with no console, and a small black shroud around the gear shifter.

The S Pack was not available as a 3 seater. Also in all 3 seaters there is no wiper stalk, instead it is mounted in the coin tray/speed alert/trip computer gap in the dash. The heater/air controls/radio/ashtray/ligher socket etc are mounted horizonal which gives more space for the 3rd person's legs. As struma said, the handbrake is on the RHS of the drivers seat, like all HQ-WBs.

And yes you'd be better off swapping your ute for someone elses 3 seater version plus cash (or for a newer model, preferably a series III standard ute with a few options). The bucket seat versions are much more popular and fetch a higher price.

M

Matt H

find a six seater wagon or similar :p i have a vr wagon of the 6 seater variety, handbrake near the drivers door on the right hand of the driver, column shift, no centre console, and a bucket seat.

the passenger seat is connected to the bucket seat, so the drivers seat may be ok to save, so just replacing te passenger seat with one with the bucket.

have no knowledge on the rest of the conversion, but there is a bit of info for you...