Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headlight flickers when indicators used

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Hello peeps, I noticed when driving the car at night when I use the turning signals from on to off the headlights slighty dim for a sec, not sure if it's the stalk or something else, it's pretty obvious, it does it when I use the stalk to turn left and right. Any ideas? Actually also does it when I slightly move the stalk to turn on highbeams but before the highbeams turn on.

VS97II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive II
Yeah I would like to know this, I have the same problem. When the headlights are on and you put your indicator on (either way) highbeams flick on for a moment!!!

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
I get this too.. my headlights dim for a split second when turning on indicators (when on they are fine). They also seem to dim again when putting on high beam, haven't noticed it when flashing high beam (ie pulling stalk towards you), but I haven't used that heaps either.

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
VLishes said:
Hello peeps, I noticed when driving the car at night when I use the turning signals from on to off the headlights slighty dim for a sec, not sure if it's the stalk or something else, it's pretty obvious, it does it when I use the stalk to turn left and right. Any ideas? Actually also does it when I slightly move the stalk to turn on highbeams but before the highbeams turn on.

you may have a short in the circuit somewhere,is it only the lights that it does it with,you don't see the charge light faintly on at all?when night driving?

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
samuels said:
you may have a short in the circuit somewhere,is it only the lights that it does it with,you don't see the charge light faintly on at all?when night driving?

No charge light, it's like your cutting off the power to the low beams for a split second, don't know if it's just a stalk issue.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Yeah if the lights were blinking dim with every flash of the indicator I'd have said your battery needs replacing and get the alternator checked...

However is does sound like your indicator switch is shorting out or something.

DJ Ice

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 VE Calais V
Yep I have the same problem too but only since I changed to another secondhand stalk since the cruise control wires became broken in my other one. My guess is that stalk is at fault BTW doesn't happen when I cancel the indicators on high beam.

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
sixshooter said:
Yeah if the lights were blinking dim with every flash of the indicator I'd have said your battery needs replacing and get the alternator checked...

However is does sound like your indicator switch is shorting out or something.

Not every blink, only when the stalk is used to turn on and off the indicators and same with high beams.

DJ Ice

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 VE Calais V
That's right...exactly same as mine is doing. I have new aftermarket stalk here which I'm thinking of installing...will post result if and when I change it.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i dont know if this is similar to what you guys are experiencing, but a coupla months ago i was drivin home with my low beams on and i was starting to get onto roads without street lights so i flicked on the high beams...
exactly as i flicked them on the car seemed to die....cd player off,lights off,speedo etc. dead,tention of accelerator gone...all for about a second,then it was normal again....
it did this all the way home,really freaked me out...then when i got home the power windows wouldnt work to put the windows up,the interior light didnt work and the central locking wouldnt lock the doors.
so i started it back up (took a few tries) and let it run for a few minutes.
after that everything worked fine again...next day took it into autobarn and got a battery and alternator test, the test said good battery and the alternator was charging at the right voltage...i thought that was really weird so we did a second test..this one said replace battery and alternator was same as before...
anyway,picked up a new battery and some sandpaper while i was there and put the newie in after givin the connections a bit of a sanding..its never done anything wrong since.
i guess my point is that dodgy batteries can do really wierd stuff to you cars electronics.