Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stage 2 Shift Kit + Standard Torque Converter

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
I had a Stage 2 Shift Kit installed about 2 months ago and everything has been great until the last past week. :my: When locking the shifter into 1st, I would let it rev out into 2nd and if you did not shift it manually to 2nd it would throw you forward towards the windscreen as it downshifted back to 1st as you back off. :yeah: Now it doesn't do this and if you cruise in 1st and increase/decrease acceleration if sound like it is changing gears, ( more like a smooth change between 3rd and 4th ) although the rpm is the same. A friend of mine that is a mechanic suggested that I should have upgraded my torque converter when I installed the Stage 2. :b: Is this the problem or is it something else ? :confused:

Notorious

Notoriou$
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2 3.8L
I cant understand what your saying

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
If you lock the gear shift into 1st and accelerator to 40-50km/h then back of the accelerator, it feels like the torque convert is disengaging. :w00t: Then when you try to accelerate, it feels like it's in neutral for a brief second before it takes off. :confused:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You foolish boy. The idea of installing a shift kit is to speed up the gear changes to prevent flaring, which wears out the transmission, especially in high HP cars. In your case your misuse/abuse of the transmission will probably result in an expensive repair. There are a number of components, including the torque converter, bands, clutch packs and various seals that could have cried "enough". An investment of around $2000 with a transmission oil cooler should ensure that it can cope with most of what you can dish out in the future!!!