Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 Temps

S

SS UTE

Just bought a Vs ss ute, just wondering how can i get the temp down in this like to the third line, and with the air con on what should the temp be on in traffic.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
That sounds about normal.

It will cool a bit when you get out in some fresh air and pick up some speed.

B

Blownvsute

VS SS Ute hey? Nice choice... :thumbsup:
How does the cooling system look, ie old coolant and hoses, old radiator cap,etc...
Try replacing your radiator hoses, clamps,coolant (I use Envirocool in my toys),radiator cap and thermostat. Flush the radiator and engine with clean water and drain the engine block by undoing the drain plug on the passenger side of the block near the engine mount.
Use a slightly cooler thermostat, ie 180 degree and use a new "o"ring seal for the thermostat housing.
Check the heater tap isn't weeping. That's the weird looking thing usually nestled next to the fuel rail just above and behind the thermostat housing.
Is it running a clutch fan or thermo's? It's important that the fan shroud is in place when using a clutch fan.
Check the thermo on the front of the radiator starts up when you turn the aircon on.
I just pulled the radiator out of me ute cause it had a pinhole in it that would leak occasionally and found the original supply sticker on the radiator dated 10/95. 10 years out of a radiator was pretty good I thought so I shouted it a brand new alloy one. Doesn't go much over a 1/4 now and we get 40 degree + temps over here.

S

SS UTE

BLOWN VS UTE changed the waterpump and clucth fan, havnt touched radiator or anything like that thermastat is something i wana get maybe one that opens earlier,and can you get 3 core radiators for the 8s, or better still whats an alloy radiator worth like yours for it.

96ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs ss
s3 vs utes had an alloy radiator check with holden parts or ring a radiator co

B

Blownvsute

SS UTE said:
BLOWN VS UTE changed the waterpump and clucth fan, havnt touched radiator or anything like that thermastat is something i wana get maybe one that opens earlier,and can you get 3 core radiators for the 8s, or better still whats an alloy radiator worth like yours for it.
As 96ss said the series 3 ute had an alloy radiator and thats what I put in mine...about $400 roughly although trade is around $330...

S

SS UTE

yeah mine is a series 3 with the alloy radiator. i mite wack in a thermastat that opens at an earlier temp.

kazz

Reaction score
Members Ride
My12 VE SS V REDLINE SERIES 2 UTE
Hey Dude, I have a 1999 ss Vs Ute and my temp runs at 1/2 way winter or summer, but slightly higher in summer I'v looked into every thing and done every thing and thats just were it sits :b: