Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Revs?

vsmanny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Manual Sedan
Hey everyone just a quick question i have a vs sedan manual and when accelerating at anything over 3000rpm the engine sounds like thats as far as she'll go. Whereas my cousins vy storm ute manual easily goes up round 5000rpm with no probs at all. just curious wat the go is??

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
Car should still pull decent after 3K revs, does it die out completely?:

V

vsII manual

Yes, that doesn't sound right?
Should pull fine all the way to cut out. As said tacho is out or maybe a blocked cat converter or something?

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
I'd be taking it to a 'chanic mate.. I have a VR.. the only difference I notice at around 3,000RPM is the exhaust "drone" quietens, anywhere from about 1,800RPM to 3,000RPM is a good drone on exhaust, any harder with the foot, or anymore after that and it loses noise.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
from 3 grand to 4 grand is where alot of the engines real power comes into play...
you should really be kickin in and makin some serious ground at those revs.
i noticed you said it "sounds" like i cant go any further...but how does it feel? is the power still there,or does it struggle?
also,is this on a factory manual,or a converted one?

vsmanny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Manual Sedan
re: revs

its a factory manual. i thought the tacho could be out, cause anything above 3000 and its absolutely screaming its tits off feels like if i push it any harder it may do damage to the engine?

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Most likely tacho is out, a mechanic should be able to re-calibrate that.. other than that, im not too sure who would?

V

vsII manual

to see if the tacho is out, just put it in first and go as fast as you can.
If the engine starts "missing" at high revs and won't rev any higher, it is hitting your rev limiter at about 5900rpm.
I know its probably not good for the engine, but it is an easy test to see if the tacho is broken?