Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

coolant/overflow 96 VS v6

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
ok well its back to the drawing board i thought i might of had a buggered water pump, turns out the one thats in it is brand new, we went for a drive on sunday weather was hot but car didnt overheat came back and noticed coolant leaking out of the overflow hose any ideas ??? the coolant is at a fine level not over or under i was wondering if i should go ahead and do the thermostat the only thing im worried about is i was reading in the user manual of the car that the cooling system has air leak points ???? have no idea what that is but when i took the engine cover off i noticed on top of the thermostat housing that there was like a brass screw with a seal on it, perhaps the air leak point ?? all i do know is in the manual it says if your doing a major change of coolant or anything that it needs to be bleed and to take it to holden dealership something i am so not doing any help would be much apreciated :w00t:

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
Yes, the big screw near the thermostat is the thersmostat air bleed valve, you unscrew it while the car is running, coolant will flow out, use a bottle or something to make sure it doesn't go all over the place and you'll bleed out all the air from the system.

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
is that the only air bleed valve in the whole system ??? if so then that sounds easy as :D

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
Yep I"m pretty sure it is, just make sure to keep it running for a while so it bleeds out all the air.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
And also have the heater turned on so that any air in the heater will also be purged. Dont become paranoid about coolant overflowing from the header tank....make sure you keep the level within the MAX and MIN marks - a lot of people overfill.

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
hako said:
....make sure you keep the level within the MAX and MIN marks - a lot of people overfill.
Yep, the important thing to remember is that the overflow tank should be at the minimum level when the engine is cold. If you have too much coolant in the system, when it gets hot and expands it will purge out the overflow hose. If everything's working correctly, when the car is warmed up and the thermostat is fully open the coolant will be at the max mark.

Get rid of any air from the system, make sure the coolant level is at the right level and then re-evaluate to see if you still have a problem.

Mark.

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
thanks guys :D the thermostat went in today and the coolant was dropped and radiator flushed ill fill it up with the coolant tomorrow, i recently done a coolant flush and change on my vt and that went fine lucky i didnt bugger it up not knowing about that valve and all the only other car ive done the coolant in was my vn when the thermostat **** itself and that was pretty easy apart from it beeing at the back of the engine beeing a series one and not having a radiator cap on the top tank so i had to keep topping the overflow container with coolant untill it sucked it all in

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
ok coolant topped up temp isnt fluctuating anymore like before even with the air con on :D yay! now just to see if it comes out the overflow on a hot day