Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bodykits + insurance

Tom04

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2
hey
did anyone else here have trouble gettin there car insured just because it had a body kit on it?
all the big insurance companys raa, ammi ect were goin to charge me 3000. just cas of the body kit.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i had absolutely no worries at all mate...i dunno what the hell those dumbass insurance companies are smokin.
i pay no extra premiums for havin mine,but i have an special excess of $1k for havin an aftermarket kit...you also have to both bolt and glue (sikaflex) the kit on for them to be happy..but you need to do that anyway in most cases so thats no biggie.
im insured with RACQ...dunno what there presence is like in S.A. as they're more a QLD company i think (well id never heard of them before i moved here from nsw anyway).

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
In SA they are the RAA... same diff though.

Ask them if the premium is just because of the bodykit, or ask for quotes with and without (do it online if they won't over the phone). There may be other factors.. age, location, ratings, etc, although it is still very high.

My near-stock VS S2 Esteem is costing me $990pa but most quotes from large companies were $1300-1600. I'm 22 with no rating...

Tom04

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2
it was something like 1200 with out the body kit an 3200 with the body kit with ammi
im with elders an its only 1000 with an with out the body kit

rocket13

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VRII S Ute
Tom - There's a company in SA called H2P Insurance that might be able to help you. They're underwritten by RAA Insurance, but they don't have a problem if you've modified your car - If you want to give them a try their number's 8202 4393

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Without trying to state the bleedingly obvious....

If elders are happy to insure the car with the bodykit (make sure they know it is there, and will cover damage to it) for $1k, that sounds pretty good for <25 with little/no rating. I pay similar without a bodykit.

If AAMI want to charge that much, simple, don't use them.

rocket's link might be would checking out too, never hurts to get a few more quotes.