Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

metalmac

metalmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Any clues as to why my VS shreds the drive belt? I have renewed various idler pulleys, and they all rotate freely, the tensioner pulley is free and appears to be doing it's job. The belt shreds away about 1/8" to 1/4" of it's width at the front edge and then all runs ok. It is put on the pulleys square and in the correct grooves. Hoping someone can give me a lead.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It's not the part of the spring tensioner assembly which rotates with spring pressure to keep tension on the belt? Can you wobble the spring tensioner about when the belt is off? If this was worn then the pulley would not be in line with the other pulleys.

ww1313

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs aclaim v6
This has happened to me only after they replaced the balancer. I chewed up 4 belts before they found a small nick on the outer groove of the balancer. Used a small tiangle file on it and it works ok for now. Hope this helps

metalmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Metalmac Drive belt

Thanks for the tips I suspect it might be the tensioner, I did ckeck for freeness but not sideways movement and will look for any nicks in main pulley. I can see a bit of spanner spinning to change the tensioner.