Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RPM Needle Going Bazerk! Need Help.

J

Jay38L

Hi,
Quick question that someone might be able to help me with. The last 2 days my VSII Manuals RPM needle has been jumping all over the place! It bounces all around the place really quick like it doesn't know where to sit. It sometimes jumps off the dial and comes close to hitting the KMS gauge! The thing is my revs are fine, my car drives absolutely perfect. However the tempreture gauge is pretty high too, about 3 bars from MAX sometimes. Car is having trouble starting warm too, but not cold.

Replaced the crank angle sensor but there's no change. Was told it could be a bad earth somewhere. Any help you guys could give me would obviously be appreciated. If I can't fix this soon I'm going to blow a head gasket. Thinking about taking it to Holden to run it through the computer.

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
sound like your instrument cluster has sh!t itself try pick yourself up another cluster perhaps off ebay they go pretty cheap, my dads hilux instrument cluster started doing that rpm would shoot up to redline when you start the car and then bounce all over the place, replaced the cluster and good as new

J

Jay38L

Appreciate you taking the time to reply to my question mate. My car seems to have a bloody mind of it's own sometimes. Sounds like you could be right if it happened to your old man.

The only other problem is that it doesn't start sometimes, whether or not thats tied in with the cluster maybe shitting itself I'm not to sure. It cranks over but won't kick. But I replaced the battery with a heavy duty one, got new uridium plugs, magnacore leads today still no change. :b:

So next step will probably be cluster or alternator and possible checking all the sensors and earthing points. Thanks again.

J

jay123

that heaps wierd same thing with the tacho happened to me , i went to put the window wipers on and my hazards and rpm's went crazy. i have recently replaced my ignition barrel! i might of screwed something when i was doing this,

as for your car not starting check you ignition barrel and the thing it goes into arnt worn out, might save you some money if thats wat it is befor eyou start replacing alternators and that.

centrifugal6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS supercharged v6 Twin coming
da pob with it not starting will be ya crank angle sensor , Me same pob

Snotty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina auto s2
when i had this problem it took them 3 hours to find. it was the earth from the engine block. replace that and the crazy revs have stopped.

vsuterus

Reaction score
Check the earth from the battery to the chassis (approx 5mm lead about 20cm long that bolts from the -ve terminal to just up in front of the radiator overflow).

Mine came off as the battery wasn't properly clamped down and had the same sort of symptoms.

good luck!