Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisey when starting

C

calv75

hey guys, When i start my vr it has a very loud knocking noise, i have been told that the oil is taking to long to get to the top. I'm wanting to flush my engine and try and free up the oil pick up which seems to be causing the problem, What can i use to flush and clean my engine with with out having to pull apart.

rajawolf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT wagon acclaim
Hi Calve75,

Mate the oil pickup on the holden motors is very small, the opening is about the size of a 10 cent coin :( but then the pickup tube connected to this is only about the size of a 5 cent coin.

Have a pressure test on the oil pump carried out it maybe the problem...any gunk will also affect this as it is a p!$$ poor design and affected by sludge very easy.

The other option is to get a a engine tuneup conditioner oil with "lifter free". I have used the above and it works..well stopped the lifter rattle anyway....BUT I cannot stress more as stated above....get a oil pressure test done ASAP.....I am advising this because I now have a V6 motor in my garage stripped into a zillion bits because I was to slack to get the pressure test done :b: .....To rebuild this motor myself is too many $$$ for parts, and the cheaper option now is to replace the engine.

Cheers mate.

h2obro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II
hey man, any updates on the starting noises ??

P

portercg

Calv, Get the pressure test done!!!

before you go there, do you know what oil is in the motor? it should be 20W/50 oil.
And what kind of oil filter? only use a genuine or well known non gen like a Ryco. change the oil and filter (if you have not already done so) and then get the test.

If your car's done high klms I'd go for the flush too.

But get that test regardless

P

portercg

Oh, the knock will not be in the top end. It is most likely the big ends.
did I say GET THAT TEST.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
portercg said:
Oh, the knock will not be in the top end. It is most likely the big ends.
did I say GET THAT TEST.

lol i think you have :)
yea noises are normally not top