Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs wagon power steering problems

R

rays VS

my wagon feels like a truck to drive i checked the power steering fluid level and it is good i put new tie rod ends on what could be the problem.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Worn tyres and inflation pressure...

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
rays VS said:
my wagon feels like a truck to drive i checked the power steering fluid level and it is good i put new tie rod ends on what could be the problem.
I presume here that you mean heavy and not say wandering or ducking and diving.
The latter 2 are related to wheel alignment and are caused by worn or damaged suspension components.
The former sounds like the power steering assistance is non existent or poor. The correct way to test is with a pressure gauge in the line and by turning the wheel to lock you should see the pressure rise to approx 8-10Mpa as you pull on the wheel. The pump should make a hissing sound at this point indicating that the relief valve is operating. If you dont get pressure the pump is probably stuffed but could still be internal leak in the steering gear. To check for this you either need a flow meter in the line or using a crude method you could disconnect the outlet of the gear and with gear on full lock and engine running time oil into a small container of 250 mils. You need to stop engine immediatley as you dont want to run reservoir dry. Multiply timed result by 4 to give litres per minute and should be less than 0.5.
If higher then power steering has internal leak else pump is worn.
If youre not up to this take to a garage with proper gauge and flow meter.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
doesnt sound like power steering is starting, hav you checked for faults then reset computer ? your problem may not be power steering related, as said before check tyres etc and checking code will eliminate any other problems stored in the computer

Last edited:
R

rays VS

fitzy2005 said:
doesnt sound like power steering is starting, hav you checked for faults then reset computer

how do u reset the computer

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
Last edited:

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
fitzy2005 said:
doesnt sound like power steering is starting, hav you checked for faults then reset computer
How is computer tied into powersteering - there are no sensors on the powersteering as I work for company that makes it. No sensors on the pump as I just fitted a new one to my vehicle which is a VS series 1 wagon. No sensors on the pipes.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
dunno, but as said before
fitzy2005 said:
take the engine fuse out or disconnect battery for a min or two ;) start car up, revs at 2000+ rpm for 10secs prolly wont do anything but worth a try

R

rays VS

Don Sutton said:
How is computer tied into powersteering - there are no sensors on the powersteering as I work for company that makes it. No sensors on the pump as I just fitted a new one to my vehicle which is a VS series 1 wagon. No sensors on the pipes.

hi do u no an easy way to find out wether fluid is being pumped to the powersteering rack without any pressure gages.
thanks.

R

rays VS

Don Sutton said:

hi do u no an easy way to find out wether fluid is being pumped to the powersteering rack without any pressure gages.
thanks.