Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hsv 185 chip

V

vscalais

i have a 97 vs calais auto 5litre. does anyone know if i need a knock sensor if i put a hsv 185 auto chip in? any help would be great cheers

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The knock sensor was only used to retard the ignition (therefore preventing engine damage) if detonation occurred when you were using standard unleaded. If you use premium, or even better 98 octane, you shouldn't have have any detonation and therefore wouldn't need a knock sensor. If you want to run standard unleaded you should probably get one.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
if you use the standard hsv 185 chip you will need the knock sensor, its programmed into the memcal

Rob

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
BlackVXGTS said:
The knock sensor was only used to retard the ignition (therefore preventing engine damage) if detonation occurred when you were using standard unleaded. If you use premium, or even better 98 octane, you shouldn't have have any detonation and therefore wouldn't need a knock sensor. If you want to run standard unleaded you should probably get one.
What you said is correct do a degree, only question is the chip is tuned to run with the knock sensor, wont it log a knock sensor fault code if its not found?
AirStrike :air:

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
AirStrike said:
What you said is correct do a degree, only question is the chip is tuned to run with the knock sensor, wont it log a knock sensor fault code if its not found?
Certainly does, Code 43.

vscalais, click on this link here for a how-to guide I did on installing the knock sensor, loom and memcal.

Mark.