Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting to gas on VS - info wanted

gibbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Hilux 3.8l vs v6 & 4L60E
Converting to gas on VS - DIY info wanted

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with lpg on VS, Do I need a piggyback computer onto my holden one or can I just go down to the wreckers and buy any old gas system and fit that, (with solenoids etc)?

Last edited:

vsuterus

Reaction score
Gday, the LPG conversion on a VS V6 will slow it down a little bit (a lot more noticable than the V8). The do tend to run smooth but you have to keep your ignition system in top condition otherwise expect the odd backfire which will blow the air box to pieces. However you can fit a one way valve or flap onto this to prevent damage - a lot cheaper than replacing the box each time. For a full conversion with new parts you'd be looking at about $1600, and in WA you get a $500 rebate, not sure about other states though. My brother got his VS ute converted to LPG and gets about 400km from 60L of LPG, which is isn't the best economy but still probably 70% the running cost of petrol. He's burnt out one fuel pump from letting the petrol run too low in the tank ($120) so it can be quite costly in the long term if you arent careful and keep the maintenance side of things right up.

You can get a second hand kit from the wreckers but it is law to change all the piping - service line, fill line, vapour line etc. So the only parts you can get are the tank, mixer, converter, computer, and solenoids. Not worth going to the trouble of removing the service line from a wreck as its useless anyway, except maybe offcuts for something else. It won't pass the pits if they see second hand wiring used. In WA you still get a $500 rebate so a second hand coversion can end up costing nothing or very little if you get the tank etc at a good price.

If you work out the economy at 400km per tank/60L , that works out to be $9/100km (at 60c/l gas)

For petrol estimate 500km/60L thats $13.80 per 100km with petrol @ $1.15/l

Just approximate figures but gives you a ballpark figure anyway. I've had 3 cars on LPG and never had any problems, as long as you can understand the system and how it works it usually won't let you down.

hope this helps

gibbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that, its good to know the economy figures.
I would like to know if the computer is easily fitted as I want to do it myself, does it plug in to existing computer wiring plug or do you cut and shut loom.......or what Im not sure,
Does anyone have a diagram of the wiring?

vsuterus

Reaction score
The computer is separate and mounts under the dash. There's quite a lot of wiring involved, and if you get a second hand kit you'd hope it would come with a manual or be the current model to know where all the wires go. Wires that cut into the existing ECU are TPS, O2 sensors, Tacho etc.

I converted my VS V8 Statesman to LPG and it was quite a big job, took about 30 hours all up. First time though. I reckon if I did it again it'd take half that. Got it fully checked over by a mate with the ticket and got him to stamp it before taking it over the pits. I think I did a better job than some conversions I've seen done by licensed fitters. You need a hole saw, pipe cutter, flaring tool, and just other standard tools. Was $1300 for the kit and I got a $500 rebate, so $800 total. Plus cut the running costs right down. I think I worked out it would take 17000km to break even, so about a years driving.

good luck!

gibbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thats what I want to do , I fitted the v6 to my hilux and did all the wiring myself, so I figure I can do a LPG system!
Just need that manual you were talking about........

vsuterus

Reaction score
If its the current model then you will easily be able to get the wiring instructions from a re-seller. Mine was a sprintgas system. The computer has a model on it so I don't think it'd be too hard to get a photocopy from the kit supplier/reseller if required. Its not a big manual, should just be an A3 sheet of paper or similar. Yep if you can wire up a VS V6 you'll be able to hook up a gas system!

VNCommo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 3.8
i have a kit that i got from a wrek ive got the tank lines a couple of boxes(switches) and a think that looks like a turbo. im selling it do i give the ecu with it. i found another box that saids fuel managment system on it is this what your taking bout. and what else is required to sell a complete kit + what is a solanoid

filtnineee

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS commodore series 2
i got my vs put on gas last year through parnell in vic for just over 2000g, now allthough i got a few backfires at the start (none of which blew the airbox as parnell use this kind of ring at your throttle body that just pops off) anyways after i replaced with stronger leads and colder plugs its fine now. seprate computer for gas and dont have a probelm. just now having some o2 sensor probs, though with 190000 on the clock prob time to replace them as i just changed the water pump.
1600 sounds cheap for a gas conversion as i rang alot of places and didnt find any under 2000

starkeyholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
If you need the vehicle to be street legal, the gas system must be certified as being installed by a qualified and authorised installer.

regarding backfires, Parnell now install gas injection systems which don't backfire or lose power and are more economicall but cost more about $3,800 in WA?
Fortunately they can be easily swapped to any car with the same number of injectors, and run off the stock ecu with no piggy back module

B

built4girls

My advice DONT DO IT!!!!!!
i had Duel Fuel on my VN which started up on peterol and flicked over to gas about 30 seconds after start up.
So many problems with Backfire, Blowing up airboxes, Seals, and car just ran like a peice of crap no matter how it was tuned. Air con didnt work aswell and cant put anything long in your boot as it blocks the compartment of the fold down seat.

It was all good for the first 2 years, after that it was nothing but trouble! It may be different on a newer car though afterall the vn was an 89.

Yeah it was slightly cheaper but it still used a **** load of gas, and gas is getting more expensive everyday.