Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new engine heads

mootazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR Commodore s/w
Hi all, hope there is someone that can help pass on some helpfull information to me. I have just had my heads replaced in my vr wagon after being told i had a split in one of which my car was not showing any symptons i am used to. Anyway being a female i know the wool can be pulled over pnes eyes. My question is looking at my so called new heads they dont look new, to be honest i was expecting to see some pretty clean parts, however this is not the case, was told that spark plugs will be replaced etc of which this also looks like the originals are still there. Was also told about the radiator being flushed etc, well to say that my reserve radiator bottle was empty and the water in the radiator was only just visible and still quite rusty. My question is my mechanic said that u can only half fill the radiator as it will put pressure on the new heads if it is full, is this true? and of course i did fill up my bottle without knowing the difference and was this a bad thing? and would it be true that after running it in for two weeks that is when the radiator will be flushed etc after the block has been cleaned?, i know the oil gets changed as i am used to that being done this way in the past. I guess i am just after what the normal do's and donts are when new reco heads are put in. I would appreciate any help on this matter :)

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
It's possible that they welded up the crack in the head then had it machined. Should have asked to see the spilt in the head, that's if there was one :unsure: As for the rest of the crap about the radiator, sounds like rubbish to me.

mootazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR Commodore s/w
that is what i was thinking especially when he told me he didnt want to put too much pressure on the head with having a full radiator of water. Although he told me that because it was not alloy they could not weld it. I will be asking to have the contact details of the place that they sent my heads too and i will be enquiring with them. Was just worried about if i kept driving it with only a half full radiator that i would running the risk of it overheating and doing more damage. Thankyou for your input BT1 VR

rajawolf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT wagon acclaim
I think you are getting the wool pulled over your eyes :p Ring a machining shop that does auto machining of heads, valves,crank, ect ect and ask for advice from them ..do this before the guy shuts up shop and does a runner with your money.

Sorry I cannot help you some more.

Cheers.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
the radiator should be full at all times, no exceptions. Telling you to half fill it is utter crap.
if it has been flushed the coolant should be a nice bright green
if the heads have been recoed they should have nice clean black paint usually.
get another mechanic to have a quick look.

Rob

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
you are right to assume clean parts the vally cover would be spotless (no mechanic would risk forren objects grit&sand to fall in the during removal)
if head was cracked oil in radiator water in sump
your heads would be gray due to chemical cleaning
new gasgets should be seen.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
OMG alarm bells... what a load of tripe about not filling the radiator full...

Sounds like you got shafted big time...

Get yourself a Registered motor vehicle expert such as a RAA mechanic to look and write up a report on the work supposedly been done on you vehicle... and threaten legal action against the shoddy workshop if your money isn't refunded...

They should cough up to keep their business name out of the limelight and the money from ripped off customers rolling in...

cracker

Reaction score
u probley wont be able to see the new heads as they are pretty well covered in other parts etc but they should look clean at least from what u can see or maybe painted in black paint or something
If he recons his welding cast iron heads his talking utter bull ****. ask him where the crack is and why it would happen, ask him to show u it.altough that would be too late now
there is no reaons for it to be half full at all that is a piss poor thing to do.

mootazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR Commodore s/w
thanks guys for ur imput, i was sure i was being diddled after all he wouldnt think a woman would question anything like that. It is true there is so much attached to the engine it is hard to see, but not seeing clean looking spark plugs etc just got me thinking, and no there is no coolant in the radiator, its still rusty and yucky from before, he reckons that the coolant gets put thru after it is flushed in two weeks time when they change the oil and i guess this is when they tighten the head as well. I will be getting in contact with the shop where this guy supposedly got them from and will drill them for sure, but from all the info i have recieved re the radiator should only be half full as being utter crap and bs i am glad i did fill it up when i did. I will also get in contact with nrma and have them do a report for me as to what they think and go from there, once again guys thankyou ever so much for your time and input and i am so glad that i didnt just accept his crap. :)

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
NRMA is an excellent idea, show them the bill of what was done/replaced and get them to do a full inspection is only about $150.00 i think. Then take the inspection report to the dodgy and after he refunds put the bill where the sun don't shine.