Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buyin a VR Calais. .

L

LowCalais

Hey all,

Looking at buyin a VR Calais. 1993 Model with 160k's on the clock. Great nic, and it seems to run fine.

Has the usual things like exhaust, extractors, lowered, rims, etc.

This is the first Commodore i've had, (previously a corolla) so anything that i need to look for when buyin?? Power steering pump has just been replaced.. Gearbox is the stock one i think.

So any advice that I would need to know, please share.

Thanks in advance and will hopefully be posting some pics of the bad girl if i get her...

-LowCalais-

SAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina, VZ BT1
160K isnt bad for a VR.... considering my VS has done 250K. Just make sure you check out the 'hidden' things like shocks etc.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
also cheeck for more obvious things like oil in engine bay. look in the gap under the engine but ontop of the sump, it's a basterd to get with degreaser, so it's hard to dodgy without a presure cleaner. check things like rear main seal, back of diff housing etc anywhere oil can leak from. also check things like shocks, bushes yadda yadda yadda. take it for a drive if you can, but remember, if you fall in love straight away, back off and look for something else, coz your heart will always get you in trouble

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Sounds like it was owned by a young car enthusiast ...extractors, lowered, mags... which can also mean thrashed...

Check that all the electrics work especially the climate control...

Go over the body looking for signs of paint overspray... check around the windows with a fidge magnet make sure it sticks...look underneath at the cars floorpan both sides, front and rear for straightness. lift the boot mat up and check the quarter panel wells each side for rust / water.

Hold a white clothe over the exhaust after you've warmed it up while a mate gives it a rev....check for any black oily residue. Check the trans fluid ...nice and red ? Or does it look brown and stick like burnt toast ? (thrashed trans)... Check oil level / color... warm the car up with the radiator cap off...notice any bubbles fizzing ?...(manifold leaks / cracked head)... look for external leaks.... when you start the car you should feel a slight pulsing through the brake pedal...this is the ABS self checking itself...Check the condition of the radiator core...

Ask for service history....a car with full log books is worth getting...

Go for a test drive...listen for any groaning noises...check the trans changes smoothly.

Thats about all I can think of...hope that helps you !

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
sixshooter said:
Sounds like it was owned by a young car enthusiast ...extractors, lowered, mags... which can also mean thrashed...

thats a bit stereotypical dont you think?
just cos the cars got a few mods doesnt mean its no good...half the people in this forum have those sorts of mods.it may even mean its been loved more and taken care of unlike alot of cars out there with clueless owners.

but anyway..the rest of your post which i didnt include in the quote was some pretty good advice for when lookin at buyin a car.

L

LowCalais

Thanks for the replies.
It's got good shocks with a camber kit, etc. It's all quality parts that have been used. The appears to be in very good condition, interior, body and engine. I'l get an NRMA inspection, and work from there.

Thanks again!!

Also, if there is some advice specifically about VR's, let me know!

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
sircruisealotVS said:
thats a bit stereotypical dont you think?

Maybe so...but with a modded car you need to extra careful with what your buying... I'm just letting him know the old truth BUYER BEWARE !

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
id personally feel safer buyin a car off someone who knows how to look after them and enjoys doin up their car.
there's too many clowns out there that havent got a clue and treat their car like crap....i see so many people comin into work askin/sayin the stupidest stuff.
this one time i had a young girl come in with her vp and ask me what oil to use, so first i checked to see if she even needed any...so i pull the dip stick and there's oil ALL THE WAY up it.
i ask her what she was doin and she said she puttin oil in it at home and ran out and needed some more.it turns out she was just pouring oil into the engine waiting to see some through the rocker cover fill point!!!...she didnt realise there even was an oil dip stick!
as i said,some people really worry me.