Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Manual to Auto Conversion

blinky351

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VX SS Sedan, VU SS Ute
Hi,
Has anyone carried out a manual to auto conversion on a V6 VR. Due to a recent minor disablity, I can't drive my manual for long periods around town now and trading my ute for an auto is not an option. I've been told that a VN-VP auto would be the easiest way to go, as I can leave the ECU and engine harness as is. The only electrical hook up that I can see would be the inhibitor switch and pwr/economy button. Any thoughts out there on this conversion? I don't mind doing the work required, just don't know if it's possible. Thanks.

SAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina, VZ BT1
ive seen it done the opposite way on a VR (auto 2 manual) and manual to auto on a VL, but i reackon its possible

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
from my limited knowledge, it's simple, but not as simple as you've said. VN/VP T700 are hydraulic, not electric, so no power/econ switch. pretty sure the speed sensor is different between auto/manual. if you go with the hydraulic box instead of the electric, then you'll also need to add in a kickdown cable.
sorry, that's all I know

J

jc58nc

If you use the Vr to Vx auto box 4L60-E there would be more available to chose from but you would have to swap the ECU to the auto version. I could be wrong but that may involve swapping the engine harness as well (different connector between auto & manual ecu) also the extra wires for the inhibit/start circuit and reverse light. An auto ECU uses signals from the inhibit switch to vary the idle when in neutral and park as compared to idle in drive or one of the gears, if you was planning to leave the manual ECU in it may have a tendancy to stall when shifting from park/neutral to drive.
As well you will have to swap the brake pedal box, remove the clutch setup, change the centre console to an auto gear stick.
You may find the speed sensors are the same for both auto and manual, I did with a Pulsar N13 18le holden engine.
I'm about to do the same thing manual -> auto but by doing a Vx Ecotec engine/auto transplant :unsure: So a bit more work to do :unsure:

blinky351

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VX SS Sedan, VU SS Ute
I really don't have a problem going with the VN/VP auto or using the later electric box, as I have collected nearly everything I need to do either swap. Its just that comparing the VN/VP's to VR's I've owned and driven, the earlier mechanical boxes seem to shift firmer than the electric ones. And my original idea of reducing the amount of wiring changes was appealling. Also, I've never had to have any work done on the earlier boxes, however, the electric ones have given me some grief over the years. I hadn't thought of the inhibiter switch signalling the ECU for idle adjustment though. It would appear that I've got some more research to do. Thanks for all the info. Anymore ideas or opinions greatly received.

Lyoness

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7 M6
an easy way to do it is find someone who wants a manual conversion, get a mechanic to do the swap & it will only cost you labour charge, all the parts will be there so technically you'll have no hassles

Lyoness

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7 M6
but you must change over radiators as they are different, you can have an auto radiator in a manual but not a manual one in an auto

vrbenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 BERLINA MANUAL.
i want an manual conversion. lol

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
Lyoness said:
an easy way to do it is find someone who wants a manual conversion, get a mechanic to do the swap & it will only cost you labour charge, all the parts will be there so technically you'll have no hassles

Thats the best way i'd recommend to do it.

srey

Wombat
Reaction score
Website
www.farkin.net
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Just out of interest, has anyone here done the gearbox change, and have any idea what ballpark the labour charges would be from a mechanic?