Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cut air box= deep induction sound

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
Sat afternoon i was bored so i cut my air box all the way accross just to kill sum time and got a deep induction sound when giving it sum throttle

Can anyone tell me the reason behind this ...as im thinking the box is magnifying the suction sound by being fully open accross the bottom not half open with cold air tube goin to headlight????

thanks

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
well doing that would be doing the same as a pod,, sucking hot air in..that induction pipe is to suck semi cold air, if you wont the sound maybe you could buy a pod if you got sum spare cash? pods are the best for that sound :)

SAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina, VZ BT1
pods may be useful for sound but depending on where u put it they can be relatively ineffective, i had one for about 6 months, located where the air box was (not really ideal), but removed it, re-installed the airbox and have put an SS Inductions CAI in.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
yeah tried a pod bfore...didnt like that sound on my vs, sounded better on my vp...this has a real deep growl...much diff to a pod...
standing still i can see how ill be sucking hot air but i cant see how i would be sucking hot air when moving as the air coming through front of car will push hot air to bak of engine bay???

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
yea if you use a heat shield of some sort a pod would be ok, im not really a POD guy though, im more of a CAI panel filter guy :) , personal opinion really, i think the pods suck to much hot air in, a few guys around in Just Commodores have made some good mods to combat this though, do a search :)

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
Yeh i like cai too..i tried putting one in b4 but the transmission lines goin to the radiotor got in the way of the pipe and i couldnt bend them enuf to feed pipe through so i couldnt do it, had to take it back to holden...i do have the K&N panel filter tho...and am thinking about doing a custom cold air from under the front bumper like i seen on here b4 cos that looks like it could make difference..but that will happen over time ..not in a rush for performance atm as still got a year to go till im off p's...dnt want too much police attention..thanks for ur reccomendation tho mate...i personally think pods are pointless too unless u got a worked engine wit a customs intake stop hot air goin in, or if u got a turbo so u can hear the coh coh coh coh when u change gears, lol

SAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina, VZ BT1
what make of CAI didn't fit???

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
i bought it from holden...i didnt wanna spend the big bucks on the ss inductions one as i cant see how 260buks is worth it...to me 260buks is alot of money for a cold air intake onli giving u a few kilowats...i can get roller rockers or a cat back exhaust for that price being more effective...but in the end its all personal preference and how much money u gotta spend...for me its money i aint got jack left after buying the car,lol

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
i bought mine of holden and nothing got in the way, although i have a exectuvie so it may be diff ???

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
i bought mine of holden and nothing got in the way, although i have a exectuvie so it may be diff ??? can u upload a pic of your problemed area? maybe able to help you out :D