Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trouble starting VS V6

SAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina, VZ BT1
recently i have had trouble starting my VS, it cranks over ok, but seems to have difficulty picking up fuel at first (takes 3-4 attempts), never had a problem before. Battery is only 2 months old, most of the fuel lines were replaced <6 months ago. any ideas??
cheers

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
my fuel pump died in ym vr, got a new one sent to me, and the new fuel pump did the same as what your saying and the problem was it wasnt the pressure (or somethign like that) got a new one again and worked fine :)

Last edited:

SAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina, VZ BT1
cheers ill check that out

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
i rekon definetly ur fuel pump had exact same prob in my vs ...changed fuel pump on w/e and now starts first go...

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
another thing could be your fuel pressure regulator too, little thing that bolts on at end of fuel rail were the fuel hose line connects to, (id change that first coz its cheaper :) )

Last edited:

vsuterus

Reaction score
Try finding a person with a VS and swap the regular with them temporarily to see if its the problem. If so, beauty! you've found the fix, otherwise, bugger, problem still there, but at least you saved $70. Apparently theres two different types in the VS, although my June '96 series I regular was identical to my brothers March '97 VS. So either early VS Series I was different or late VS Series II was different!

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
hmmm...... if it was the regulator it shouldnt take three or more attempts it should start but would take a number of cranks to get the fuel pressure back up.....

what u will find when a fuel pressure reg. goes is that as soon as u turn off the car the reg. will not keep pressure in the fuel rail / line which causes the fuel in the lines to return to the tank... hence taking longer time to start as the fuel has to travel from the tank again.....

blinky351

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VX SS Sedan, VU SS Ute
I had similar problem with wife's VR. Only difference was it would blow black smoke when it started and was a little rough in the idle for a moment. This problem started as intermittent and gradually got worse. But it would run fine when start fine when taken to a mechanic. I gave up paying good money for no results and replaced several components till I got to the fuel regulator. When I removed the vacuum hose, fuel came out of it. I don't think it's supposed to do that. Anyway, changed the regulator and the car has started prefectly ever since. Good luck with it.