Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Drilling/Cutting makes a VS commie unroadworthy?

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
Hey everybody, what i'm wondering exactly is which parts of a VS commodore are safe to drill/cut and which aren't? I know that stuff like cutting into the metal at the back of the car to squeeze in 6x9"s renders your car unroadworthy, but i was more chasing an answer that is a general sort of guide as to which areas you can and can't drill/cut without making your vehicle unroadworthy?

For e.g. is there any chance that drilling holes in the front interior plastics to mount switches/gauges etc will make your car unroadworthy? How about drilling holes and putting in a screw to earth wires? Where else are you safe to modify the car in similar ways without making it unroadworthy?

Thanks guys, Bryce.

Z

Z()LTAN

u can drill and cut anything so long as u dont touch the subframe or any crossmembers

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
you cant drill the firewall

clinster73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
You can cut anthing aslong as it doesnt imped on the vehicles stuctural integrity. Which doesnt leave alot....Double check with a vehicle engineer.
Regarding cutting holes in the rear parcel shelf - cant cut within 200mm from a child anchorage point.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
ah ok cool thanks for your help everyone. I'm a newbie to all this stuff; would anyone possibly be able to explain what exactly encompasses the subframe and cross members or link me to a post/url that does???

Thanks Again.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Brycestro said:
Hey everybody, what i'm wondering exactly is which parts of a VS commodore are safe to drill/cut and which aren't? I know that stuff like cutting into the metal at the back of the car to squeeze in 6x9"s renders your car unroadworthy, but i was more chasing an answer that is a general sort of guide as to which areas you can and can't drill/cut without making your vehicle unroadworthy?

For e.g. is there any chance that drilling holes in the front interior plastics to mount switches/gauges etc will make your car unroadworthy? How about drilling holes and putting in a screw to earth wires? Where else are you safe to modify the car in similar ways without making it unroadworthy?

Thanks guys, Bryce.

6x9's can easily be installed in a VS without any destructive cutting. Even I was able to do it!

Pretty safe to say that any plastic can be cut/drilled - but your best bet is to only cut/drill pieces which can easily be removed and replaced. Also - check behind. Don't go drilling through wires, a/c components, srs sensors etc...

As for earth screws - you can normally find an existing screw/bolt that will act as a good earth - even if you have to shell out for half a metre of wire...

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
Ah ok cool, thanks for the extra help Fletch.

Just with the VS 6x9"s install... did you have to cut anything at all or how did you go about it? Because every single source i've read on it has stated that you need to add a custom parcel shelf or riser things to fit them in because you can't squeeze them into the 6" stock back speaker places. Thanks.

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
whats happens if you drill a few holes where your not supposed to and it comes up as a problem in gettin a RW?? is it as simple as filling it will weld bond or is the car useless???

Z

Z()LTAN

lol just dont, depends on the size, u can putty or weld it up though

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
:bop: oh well.... holes were done quite a while ago without even thinking of the structural issue.....

i think were riding this vs out till the end... we've spent too much on it to give it up now... so i guess its not a issue....