Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please Help

Man_Of_Steel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S1
On Saturday my 1995 VS Commodore Series 1 stopped dead while i was driving, it gave a funny thunking noise while trying to accelerate and then stalled. Upon trying to start the car again i could only engage the accessories, the starter motor would not even engage. It gives a dull thud like it is trying to pass charge to the starter motor but is unable to. Upon opening the bonnet we discovered that the battery terminals were quite hot. We replaced teh batter because we thought that it may be the alternator but that had no effect and the battery that we took out of the car started a VN station wagon without any trouble whatsoever.

Any help or ideas where the problem might be would be greatly appreciated.

G

GMH 72

Pull out the oil dipstick or drain your oil to check if you have any metal fillings or chunks of metal. Then check your coolant & see if it's gone milky cause a rod could have gone through the block into one of the water galleries. You may have seized it. It's the first step anyway in a process of ellimination.

blinky351

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VX SS Sedan, VU SS Ute
A friend had similar thing happen to him when a mechanic took his car for a test drive. It was a siezed engine caused by a blocked oil pick up. Try putting a socket on the harmonic balancer attachment bolt and see if you can turn the motor over by hand. May need to remove the spark plugs. If it is locked up, it is probably terminal. Anyway, try this, hopefully your motor will turn and you will have to look at other reasons for the problem. Good luck.