Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 motor in a VS V6

S

Sandman240588

Gday guys

Is it possible to trhow a V8 engine prefibaly an ls2 into a v6 shell? i know all the things i will need to upgrade and i know its gonna cost a bunch but i want to do something different.. any help would be great thanks

SAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina, VZ BT1
why wasted your time and money??? trade in your V6 for a V8

S

Sandman240588

Yeh not quite the answer i was looking for but thanks anyways mate

Lyoness

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7 M6
ls1 yes but not sure about the ls2 as I heard the wiring is completely different

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
why dont yu just put a super6 in it????? maybe even run a twin blower system, run a centrifugal blower through the roots type...

S

Sandman240588

yeh a ls1 wuld be good ay cause i want it to be a bit different to any other vs out there.. can get the money together im just wonderig how much an new ls1 wuld cost wit all the needed parts? or anywhere i can get a quote from
thanks

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
Hi, I'm doing a conversion similiar only I'm working over a 5.0l VS motor to replace my Ecotec V6.
I have found that there are a few traps but nothing that can't be overcome I hope.
Anyway do yourself a favour and buy Just Parts magazine, Theres an add in there from Ballarat Holden Surplus Division that has the following:
Brand New Gen 3 with computer, wiring harness alternator statermotor for $8500.00 or a second hand reconditioned Gen 3 $4700.00 or a brand new Ls1 Gen 3 with computer and air flow meters for $6250.00.
This mag also has heaps of other stuff I found it worthwhile because it allows you to compare prices.
Best of luck, I'm finding plenty of Patience a few Beers and plenty of Patience is working out, Hope to get it done in about 3 weeks.

S

Sandman240588

hey guys thanks for the help very much appreciated. neil b let me know how ur engine conversion goes. what hidden traps are we talking about here? thanks to boona too.. man i wouldn mind even puttin a 5.0l v8 in it i just want that lumpy sound and the grunt haha.. but i much appreciate the help.. oh and im sick of bein beaten by rice lol
cheers

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
The little things is what I really mean I have found out you need a Tacho out of a V8 also the Temp gauge, I found it easier to buy a second hand set of gauges and just put the Tacho , Temp and Fuel Gauges in mine so I could keep my origional Milage and sold the V6 one. I have seen on another forum (street Commodores where you can put resisstors in for the Tacho but you still need the other. I only put the feul gauge in as I bought a long range tank so I also need to get a pump as the long range tank has an internal pump and another pump behing the rihjt rear wheelarch.
The power steering pump is different so you need to get some hoses and stuff to adjust to it.
The A/C comes out on the Passenger side on the V6 also the compressor is on the left, on the V8 it's all on the right so you need to get that rerouted.
When you put your Radiator in if you want to go with thermo fans (I went with Ford AU's) you can use the connector on the V6 but you need to wire in via 2 X relays and get your computer setup to turn on the fans, the setting is there but turned off by default, when it's turned on it's set at 108deg to come on and turn off at 101deg, I'm getting mine done to go 90deg on 86 deg off.
You need stuff like the O2 sensor, Accelerator cable, K Frame to siut whatever box you put in and just stuff like that in general.
Sounds heaps but it's not really if you take your time.
I say go ahead and enjoy it! ;) :thumbsup: